Wyeast 1275 - Starter Done And Dusted In 6 Hours?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WitWonder

Reaction score
OK So I've brewed today and wanting to pitch my yeast. A couple of days ago I smacked a pack of 1275 and it swelled within a day or two at which point I put it back in the fridge until today when I added it to about 2.5L of starter and stuck it on my stirplate. I've checked the starter regularly this afternoon and haven't noticed any sign of fermentation at all. I've taken it off the stirplate to look at it and didn't see any bubbles, krausen or any other signs of fermentation.

I'm not familiar with this yeast but I would have expected to have seen something by now based on my general yeast knowledge. There is a light dusting of yeast at the bottom of my flask but that's about it. I'm guessing I've missed the action and it has already finished but that sounds as implausible as the other option (which is that it hasn't started the growth phase). Oh well, I'll give it another couple of hours and pitch it before bed.

Does anyone familiar with this yeast have some comments?

Cheers

I'm curious, what's the logic in smacking the pack, allowing it to swell then putting it back in the fridge before pitching it?
You smacked the pack 2 days ago then it took 2 days to swell, today you put it in the fridge, got it out and fed it?

OK So I've brewed today and wanting to pitch my yeast. A couple of days ago I smacked a pack of 1275 and it swelled within a day or two at which point I put it back in the fridge until today when I added it to about 2.5L of starter and stuck it on my stirplate. I've checked the starter regularly this afternoon and haven't noticed any sign of fermentation at all. I've taken it off the stirplate to look at it and didn't see any bubbles, krausen or any other signs of fermentation.

I'm not familiar with this yeast but I would have expected to have seen something by now based on my general yeast knowledge. There is a light dusting of yeast at the bottom of my flask but that's about it. I'm guessing I've missed the action and it has already finished but that sounds as implausible as the other option (which is that it hasn't started the growth phase). Oh well, I'll give it another couple of hours and pitch it before bed.

Does anyone familiar with this yeast have some comments?

Cheers

1. What was the gravity of your starter wort?
2. What is the present gravity.

Should be all you need to determine the situation.

Screwy

1. What was the gravity of your starter wort?
2. What is the present gravity.

Should be all you need to determine the situation.

Screwy

Bloody hell, thanks Screwy :rolleyes:

Well, it's dropped 2 points is the answer. But did the addition of the packet of yeast to the starter change the gravity? :unsure:

I'm curious, what's the logic in smacking the pack, allowing it to swell then putting it back in the fridge before pitching it?
You smacked the pack 2 days ago then it took 2 days to swell, today you put it in the fridge, got it out and fed it?

Yes and Yes :) First time I've done it as the pack was around 6 months old I chose to do that rather than brew and have to wait another few days for the pack to swell.

mmm next time smack... swell and pitch to eiter brew or starter...... dont chill it.

sudden changes in temp shocks yeast and and can kill it.

once you smack it......... dont chill it unless you dont plan to use it for a few weeks

cheers

Yes and Yes :) First time I've done it as the pack was around 6 months old I chose to do that rather than brew and have to wait another few days for the pack to swell.

The point/question was/is why did you put the pack into the fridge?

It's like Ben Cousins taking caffeine and sleeping tablets. Do you want to be wide awake or fast asleep?

I have a 1275 going at the moment in a northern brown recipe. I split the smack pack into 3 and pitched it into a 400 ml starter and stepped up to 2 L. It took about 24 hours to reach high krausen in the 400ml starter then another 30 hours to finish the 2 L step. Mind you the pack was dated 26/4/10 and took about 3 days to swell completely. The first time I have used this yeast but it seemed to be a few days slower than the 1056 I used last brew.

IMHO it hasnt really started yet, as per the Wyeast site it will take 1 smack pack 24-36 hours to ferment a 0.5 gallon (about 2 L) starter of 1.040

So put it back on the stir plate and have another home brew.

:icon_cheers:

A good rule of thumb I use is the old taste method.

Pour yourself a sample of the starter and taste it. If its less sweet than when it started, fermentation is/has occured.

This is also a good way of knowing if your yeast is clean and free from wild yeasties. If the starter is sour, more than likely its infected. Unless its Bret :p

Cheers,

TS

The point/question was/is why did you put the pack into the fridge?

It's like Ben Cousins taking caffeine and sleeping tablets. Do you want to be wide awake or fast asleep?

Where do you put yeast slurry you want to reuse for another brew at some point in the future?

So put it back on the stir plate and have another home brew.

Well I'm impatient so I just pitched it .... and I'm on dry July :(

Where do you put yeast slurry you want to reuse for another brew at some point in the future?

In that case you want to put the yeast to sleep as you won't be using it for weeks, so in the fridge it goes.

In the case you described you seemed to want to use it, so you would want to keep it awake. Smack, swell, yeast starter.

I'm even more curious, you make a 2.5 litre starter and put it on your stir-plate on the day that you brew your main batch?

Back