Wyeast 1084 Irish Ale Yeast

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

deebee

The Bludgeon Brewery
Reaction score
After a horrible mistake earlier this year resulting in 23 litres of high quality malt vinegar, I now sample all my starters before pitching them. I pitched an Irish Ale starter this week that was strong with aromas of ripe tropical fruit. :blink: What's the story?

The stash is four brews old and I have made some really nice stouts with it. I noticed when i made the second stout that it had a definite banana aroma. I can just pick it in that brew when I serve it warm. It is more of an aroma than flavour but it's there alright. Since noticing the banana in that brew I can pick it in the other stouts from that yeast but it is not very strong. Given the other strong flavours swimming around the glass, it does not detract. Maybe it even adds complexity.

Anyway the starter this week was like mango or banana or even papaya. Kind of. It definitely did not taste off. No sourness, sharpness or astringency. I hesitated but after drinking a fair bit of the starter, I decided to just go ahead and pitch. The gravity sample is not infected. It seems fine.

I'm wondering if it is abundant esters from brewing the starter at a high temperature. In which case it should be remedied by letting the yeast drop out, decanting off the liquid and just pitching the slurry.

Has anyone noticed this sort of aroma in this yeast before?

I'd take one into a good home brew store. it does sound normal and i wouldn't worry it should be a good fruiter flavour but will have a hard time competeing with the stout flavours.
The actuall ferment should be kept below 20c though to not get too much.
the irish have been using this yeast for years and always ferment quite cool.
You'll be supprised how well a good home brew guy could pick the yeasty flavours underneath a stout.
I know what you mean about tasting it in irish brews at pubs etc.
caffery's never tastes the same to me now after pickng the yeast flavour in my versions.

anyway irish yeast does have fruity flavours so its not a proplem.
the taste is the key if its not tart in the mouth then all should be fine.

Cheer 'recently converted from hop head to malt head, Jayse'

Just reading your question again Deebee and i guess i was of no real help exept to say what you already most likely know. The yeast is fine.

Cheers Jayse, no worries. just interested to know if anyone else has got this aroma from 1084?

Actually, come to think of it, yes. Not just banana aroma, but detectable flavour as well. In a Kilkenny I just bottled, which is a bit annoying, since banana doesnt really have a place in Kilkenny. Had three fermenters going at once, two using 1056 and one using 1084. The temp got away from me overnight on the first day, hit 24 or 25 degrees, got all three down to 20 degrees for the rest of the ferment. The 1056 brews taste fine. Havent tried it from the bottle, but from the taste at bottling, the one day at high temps has produced a lot of banana ester in the Kilkenny. Have been hoping it might taste better when carbonated, but think this is going to be a quaffing when drunk brew rather than a savor the taste brew.

I think Kilkenny is a quaffing when drunk sorta beer anyway

Good for VB drinking neighbors, not too funky, yet a solid though boring beer taste

Jovial Monk

:unsure:
aarrrgghhh
nooo yaarr goona upset theee irishhh

Back