Wyeast 1084 Irish Ale - Love That Yeast

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bribie G

Adjunct Professor
Reaction score
This would have to be the rottweiler of ale yeasts, I just did an Irish Red fairly strong at 1051 and had a pack of 1084 in the fridge from last year.

It was dated July 2011 and was so old it was still in the plain green pack.

Took only 4 days to swell to tight, did an overnight starter with half a litre of wort and pitched Monday Morning.

Irish_Red_sheet__Large_.jpg

High krausen yesterday, I usually run this yeast at 24 but the Fridgemate refuses to set above 20 so I just let it go on that, it got up to 22 according to the probe.

This morning around 10 am. - done and dusted apart from the shouting. Clearing out from the top already. Still a bit of gassing off with tight clingwrap but this yeast does it every time for me.

Irish_red_in_ferm__Large_.jpg

I'll let it sit for another few days then rack to a cold conditioning cube. I'm convinced that this yeast is closely related to the Guinness strain. In Dublin they run it up to 25 for a couple of days then rest for a day then package :eek:

Just as well, its next task is a FES for the comp season :beerbang:

Anyone had any experience fermenting 1084 at about 16 degrees? I've got an irish red on the go at the moment and Just can't get the sucker to warm up. It has a good healthy krausen so it is fermenting well, but will the low temperatures give me any problems other than taking a while to reach my FG.

Cheers,

JD

Anyone had any experience fermenting 1084 at about 16 degrees? I've got an irish red on the go at the moment and Just can't get the sucker to warm up. It has a good healthy krausen so it is fermenting well, but will the low temperatures give me any problems other than taking a while to reach my FG.

Cheers,

JD

I fermented a lower gravity red ale a month ago at around 16 - 17 and it was very dry but nice and clean. :icon_cheers:

I generally harvest the yeast after fermenting for a few generations and use it with in a month. How long do you think this yeast would last in vials?

I'm trying to start rinsing this yeast after bottling on Sunday night (2 nights) and it doesn't appear to have settled out yet. Am I missing something here, or is the yeast just cactus?

IMAG0064.jpg

I'm trying to start rinsing this yeast after bottling on Sunday night (2 nights) and it doesn't appear to have settled out yet. Am I missing something here, or is the yeast just cactus?

erm, it looks totally settled out according to the photo :unsure:

I generally harvest the yeast after fermenting for a few generations and use it with in a month. How long do you think this yeast would last in vials?

I had a vial (from a smack pack) which was 18 months old. Started it in 100ml then into 2L after a day or two. The 2L starter had no signs whatsoever of fermentation after about 3 days where I was ready to ditch it but low and behold there was some little bubbles happening. Moral of the story is it took a while but was still good.

Reviving an old thread after searching to no avail for some details on the esters this yeast throws.

Does anybody care to try to describe the flavour and aroma this yeast contributes?
I have pitched my 1084 into an English ordinary bitter to build up my yeast for a heavy duty Strong Scotch.
First time I have used it and I am getting some sort of raison flavour and aroma. No sourness, I have just never encounted these esters.

Would love some experienced feedback on this one.

Just about finished fermenting a robust porter with this yeast but am crap at describing beer (so will refrain) - you've seen the Wyeast and WhiteLabs description of this yeast? (The WL page has reviewer feedback)

I find it gives a very clean finish. However the only beers I have used it in are stouts and reds with fairly aromatic malts like Caraaroma so hard to tell.
In the UK up till the 70s Bottled Guinness was bottle conditioned and home brewers recultured the yeast like we do with Coopers today. Then they used it in all sorts of styles. I will try it in a standard Best Bitter and see how it runs.

I have pitched it in an ordinary bitter, I think I am getting loads of raisins and perhaps diacetyl. It is a really unique aroma/taste, definitely not sour, dont think it's infected, just an aroma/flavour combo that I have never witnessed.
Was curious to hear if others had pitched this yeast in a pale.

I have read the technical notes on both the Wyeast and Whitelabs versions but am looking for a little first hand experience on this one.

cheers
musc

Never noticed the diacetyl, I like D and often strive for it when using something like Wyeast 1768, but was definitely getting raisins in the Irish Reds, however Caraaroma is famous for that as well which gets us no further forward :p . Next Bitter I'll just use something like Heritage Crystal and see how I go, have a bottle of 1084 trub waiting to go.

Thank you.
I have read it makes a unique Pale, so hopefully it will be a cracker. I split the batch and have made half with Nottingham and half with 1084.
Really highlights what a difference a yeast can make.

Just used this for the first time, what a beast! Pitched a 1 litre starter into an irish red on Monday afternoon, set the fridge to 21 degrees, Wednesday morning and its finished @ 1010 and dropped.

Want to do something big with the yeast cake, i noticed on the wyeast site they say its good for IIPA's, i've been wanting to do a black IIPA for a while. Anyone tried it before or got a good reason not to give it a go? Think i'll do this one cooler, 17 - 18 degrees.

Anyone else here remember Peet's Irish Ale yeast? Capable of fermenting small blocks of depleted Uranium!

I once fed it to a Porter @ 1092, then chucked it into a keg in a fridge @ 4C & it was still going 5 months later!

If 1084 is the same strain ('wouldn't surprise me), it's good for high gravities & low temperatures.

Another good yeast is w1728. Gives a slightly tart edge to a heavy red. It will go downn to14*c and ferment. Also handles high alc

Back