Wyeast 1056

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

goatherder

Fancyman of Cornwood
Reaction score
What's the deal with wyeast 1056?

Is it evil?

Why is it trying to crawl out of the airlock and kill me? I've replaced 2 airlocks today and cleaned a puddle of yeast out of the bottom of the fridge.

it smells pretty good though...

Is it evil?

Why is it trying to crawl out of the airlock and kill me? I've replaced 2 airlocks today and cleaned a puddle of yeast out of the bottom of the fridge.

It is not Evil <_< , not like Wyeast 1007 and few others which want to attack your grain bins and anything that looks like malt :p .
:D

Is it evil?

I have never had 1056 crawl out of an airlock,what temperture you fermenting at?

Batz

i've got the temp set for 18 but it's running at about 19. Too high you reckon?

My fermenter is a little fuller than usual - I found an unexpected 10 points of efficiency when I got my sparge temps sorted. There's still a good 4 inches of headspace though. I'm thinkin it's just evil.

i've got the temp set for 18 but it's running at about 19. Too high you reckon?

My fermenter is a little fuller than usual - I found an unexpected 10 points of efficiency when I got my sparge temps sorted. There's still a good 4 inches of headspace though. I'm thinkin it's just evil.

19C is fine for the 1056.
I've never had it "1007" on me either. Is it a high gravity brew? That may send it through the roof. Otherwise if it was pitched warm and cooled to 19C that may explain an explosive ferment. Or a biggish starter?

Its not a renowned crawler? That said I have 26L of APA in a 30L fermenter and the Krausen has reached the top. Hoping it doesn't climb out as I don't fancy cleaning up the ferm freezer.

A nice yeast in any event.

goatherder,

the 1056 is not evil, it's just SToopiD!

Stop confusing it with too little headspace. It just gets disorientated and claustrophobic, and then it spews...out of the fermentor.
Much better to give the beer at least 6 inches of headspace, and an open ferment (lid not screwed on). The open ferment is my latest fad. I already did it with a spakling blonde ale, my weizen and an Arrogant clone.

The temp can go fairly high with that yeast, but I get more esters/ flavour when fermenting around 16C. Ferment warmer for more hop influence due to dryer beer. 18C should be OK for you.

BTW, my experience is based on YeastLabs A02 (IIRC) - American ale, which has the some origin as W1056.

I hope no-one gets a stupid American vibe from this post...it's just a yeast, OK?

Seth :p

It was a biggish starter - 1.5 litres on a stirplate, built up over 3 days. The gravity was only 1.054. I pitched at 18 degrees and had zero airlock activity for the first 24 hours. the next morning it was going crazy, trying to escape. I'm beginning to think it's just the overfull fermenter. The best part was that it wasn't just foamy stuff that escaped - it was a fair dinkum yeast slurry I cleaned out of the bottom of the fridge. I've whacked a blowoff tube on for good measure.

:D Nice one seth. I just made the poor little guys seasick.

how did your open ferments turn out? I tried one on my last brew (tripel) and was very impressed - 1.080 down to 1.012 in 7 days. If it wasn't so heretical i'd consider using it more...

I have a Chimmay Red clone ( attempt II) sitting in the brew cupboard at the moment. I brewed this little baby on Saturday and pitched the yeast at 01:15 AM (I fell asleep in front of the TV, OK!) And when I woke on Sunday morning at around 07:15 the airlock was gurgling - like someone was blowing through the airlock from inside. At about 09:00 the gurgling stopped and the froth started comming out the airlock.

Some recent cleaning experience from a similar phenomenon (a word you cannot say when drunk) prompted me to take action. I removed the lid and placed a layer of glad wrap over the top. About every fiftenn minutes I had to "beat" the froth/foam back down into the fermenter with a fork/spoon/anything I could find!

Eventually settled down and is sitting in the brew cupboard happily doing it's business.

Cheers

Steve

Just to steer the thread back onto topic I have used both the US-56 and 1056 (apparently the same or similar) and have used/abused both around the 16 deg C mark with excellent results. This yeast seems to operate quite well over a rather broad range for an ale yeast.

I think the results you are having is what happens when a yeast either has too much "food" or is too warm.

My observations only.

Steve

:D Nice one seth. I just made the poor little guys seasick.

how did your open ferments turn out? I tried one on my last brew (tripel) and was very impressed - 1.080 down to 1.012 in 7 days. If it wasn't so heretical i'd consider using it more...
I'll let U know in a minute. I just tasted my 2 weizens and they are somewhat different.

The blonde ale is quite nice, but nothing extra from the open ferment that I can detect.

Anyone else have an opinion on Open ferments? Open a new topic or add to an existing one. See ya there.

The open fermented Arrogant with the US-56 seems to be a little more muted or balanced in flavour than the closed ferment Arrogant before it... mmm, might have one now!

Seth out :p

Weird stuff Goatherder.

From experience I'd have to say that Wyeast 1056 throws the smallest, most compact and predictable krausen you can get. You've certainly become the exception to the rule. :blink:

The only thing I can think of is you may have had a small blockage in your airlock that righted itself with a bit of built up pressure perhaps? This may have caused a bit of extra outgassing/foaming.

Just bung a blowoff tube on it and all should be good. :)

Warren -

I originally suspected that Warren, but after it came up the 2nd airlock and now the blowoff tube I'm convinced that my lack of headspace that is the culprit.

thanks for the tips all, lesson learned.

I've got the dried version Safale US56 of the same strain going @ 22degrees, and it seems to have had 2.5 days of heavy airlock activity and now has slowed down after 4 days has settled down to a steady bubbling of say once ever 12-15 seconds, will be racking on Saturday.

Back