Wy1469

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

A3k

Reaction score
Hey guys and girls,

I managed to get my hands on some WY1469 Gen 0 thanks to boiler boy, which is a favorite of many, and now unavailable.

I made a decent starter, then made a bitter out of it. The beer took off like crazy and the krausen overflowed. (I used gladwrap, so was all good)

Anyway, as its now unavailable I thought it try and capture as much of it as possible.

What I wanted to know is which yeast sample to keep, and if theres an order youd suggest to use them in.

Sample 1: Excess slurry from starter.
Sample 2: Krausen x 2 jars, then topped with boiled and cooled water.
Sample 3: 500mL Slurry from Primary This is my major worry. I used gladwrap on top of the fermenter. But when the fermentation went crazy, it left lots of crap on the sides of the fermenter. It was in the Fermenter for about 3weeks while I got a free keg. By the time I got to taking out of primary, there were jumpy little bugs jumping around the fermenter. I didnt see any inside the fermenter, but none inside it. The samples from the fermenter tasted amazing.

Should I just keep Samples 1 & 2 and use as little as possible to get me by as long as possible.
OR do I keep Sample 3.

Also, is there one type of sample that will last longer than others.

There is also the option of making up a heap of slants. Ive been doing this a lot lately, maybe I should do the same with this one.

Cheers,
Al

For ultimate peace of mind, slant the slurry from your starter (your sample 1 above). FWIW, I only use the slurry from the fermenter (your sample 3) with any yeast I use and I've never had problems. Your bug issues, however, would make me a little leery about it though so I'd go with sample 2 only and discard 3.

I actually just pitched onto the 1st generation 1469 yeast cake yesterday. It was up & churning within 2 hours. :super:

HI AL

Definately make a half a dozen slants from the original slant or the starter if that isnt possible.

Cheers
3G

Cheers fellas,

Ill sort out some slants ASAP.

A kinda off topic question:
Im about to make a K&K beer for my old man which i havent done in ages. He always makes a Coopers Dark with a stout blend thing he gets from brewcraft using the yeast provided.
Ive been trying to get him to use a diferent or more yeast for ages, but he wont listen. So i thought id try and make one for him using 1469, Coopers Dark and 1.5kg LME.

But he doesnt really like fruity beers. Am i better off using S04 or S05 or will the 1469 be suitable.

Cheers
Al

Cheers fellas,

Ill sort out some slants ASAP.

A kinda off topic question:
Im about to make a K&K beer for my old man which i havent done in ages. He always makes a Coopers Dark with a stout blend thing he gets from brewcraft using the yeast provided.
Ive been trying to get him to use a diferent or more yeast for ages, but he wont listen. So i thought id try and make one for him using 1469, Coopers Dark and 1.5kg LME.

But he doesnt really like fruity beers. Am i better off using S04 or S05 or will the 1469 be suitable.

Cheers
Al

Al,

I just used a 1469 yeast cake in a stout and it is not to shabby at all.....your dad wont be disappointed

Rook

Nice, thats what i wanted to hear. Hopefully after drinking a whole keg of it he'll begin to appreciate certain flavours he doesn't at the moment.

I reckon i'll try and ferment it cooler to try and ratrain some of the esters a little.

The Hydro Sample i tried of my the original bitter i made was amazing. Maybe a little thin, but we'll see once its carbed up. It almost seems like it's heavily hopped (flavour wise) but it's not really only 20gm EKG at 20min and 0min (Edit: In a 28L batch.) . Really excited about this one.

Back