• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Aussie Home Brewer and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or click here to donate.

WTB: Used pin lock keg posts

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jaded and Bitter

Reaction score
I've decided to convert my ball lock kegs back to pin locks (bought as converted pin locks).

I've searched online and called Kegland and KK but no luck.

Considering how many pin locks are converted to ball locks there's got to be someone with a box full of the things willing to sell some.

Looking for Australian or US pin-lock posts.
The Oz ones have a 1/2"BSP Male post thread
The US ones have a Female thread on the post.
Mark

Curious as to the purpose of converting to pin lock. The only reason I went with ball lock is because they are the most common.

Looking for Australian or US pin-lock posts.
The Oz ones have a 1/2"BSP Male post thread
The US ones have a Female thread on the post.
Mark

I guess the US ones, female thread in post (meaning male thread on keg) and std ball lock posts were just swapped on when I got them.

Curious as to the purpose of converting to pin lock. The only reason I went with ball lock is because they are the most common.
I actually liked pin lock better. I felt they were easier on and off, and you can't mix up gas vs beer sides. But I traded em in for ball lock kegs because they are skinnier and I can fit an extra keg in my keezer.

I actually liked pin lock better. I felt they were easier on and off, and you can't mix up gas vs beer sides. But I traded em in for ball lock kegs because they are skinnier and I can fit an extra keg in my keezer.
Once you have lost a couple bottles of gas to leaky KK grey plastic gas disconnects you will be replacing them. My posts are used too and a little beaten and perhaps part of the problem so I'm replacing them too.
I'm going this far may as well go pin lock route so the posts are easier to tell apart when I tear them down and boil the posts and lid (every time I fill them).
Also good to hear from akx that they're easier on and off. Thats another thing I never really liked about ball locks.
On a purely aesthetic note I always thought the pin lock kegs are too tall and skinny, which is the only non practical consideration.

Update!

Many thanks to Weizenbonk for the free pair of posts.

I purchased the remaining 3 sets required from Adventures in Homebrewing in the US. Postage was expensive but I picked up a couple other bits and the overall savings paid for the postage.

Postage took 2 days to get from the US to Canberra, then with typical Canberra efficiency it took another 6 days to get them off the local Courier company who were the last link in the chain.

Anyway, I'm glad I did it. The disconnects although $10 a pair are made in Germany and very nice. In comparison to my crotchety ball lock disconnect they are much much easier to to put on the post, first one I couldn't believe how easy it was and had to stare hard at it to make sure it was actually on so easy!

Another thing I discovered worth mentioning is that my spear O-Rings kept getting squeezed out and the edges cut-off. In my research I found that a typical cornelius ball lock post as fitted to my converted ball lock posts is actually a very slightly larger thread, meaning the O-Ring was being squeezed out into the larger bore and cut off by the smaller pin lock male thread.

There are actually special ball lock conversion pin lock posts with the correct bore size for this reason. Std cornelius ball lock have an inside bore too large.

Overall I'm very happy with my swap back to Pin Lock posts. I converted my kegs back for about the same cost as the SS Pin lock disconnects which were my other alternative, solved the spear O-Ring issue, fixed the gas leaks, the posts are much easier to tell apart and the disconnects are vastly easier to use.

After going through this my advice to anyone with pin lock kegs is just to stick with pin locks. If the disconnects are too high you can get German made short posts anyway.

Soooooooo, anyone need some used ball lock posts and disconnects?

What sort of disconnects do you have and how much?

What sort of disconnects do you have and how much?
I cant in conscience sell or give away the gas disconnects, they're going in the bin. LHBS said there was a bad batch or something.

The liquid disconnects are black cheapies, they stick a bit but have worked ok. I'l give all 3 to you. Send me a PM.

I cant in conscience sell or give away the gas disconnects, they're going in the bin. LHBS said there was a bad batch or something.

The liquid disconnects are black cheapies, they stick a bit but have worked ok. I'l give all 3 to you. Send me a PM.

Thank you for the generous offer mate but I stick clear of any cheap Chinese stuff.

Better off going to someone just starting out.

Cheers

Thank you for the generous offer mate but I stick clear of any cheap Chinese stuff.

Better off going to someone just starting out.

Cheers
Agree, they're all going in the bin. Probably the last thing someone new to kegging needs.

Cornelius Ball lock posts are probably OK, 4 pair. Maybe one or two a bit wonky. Will cut your spear grommets if used on Firestone kegs though.

If you have genuine Cornelius German disconnect I will happily take them for the work keezer! Happy to pay the postage and packing costs+

Gratz mate. The only reason I have ball lock is because they are more common, hence much cheaper ( which was important when I moved to kegging) - I was sacked for taking time off to care for my dying mother and another family member in much need (even though I had a tonne saved up due to their "time in lieu" policy.) From an engineering perspective the cam lock are actually far superior.
It's a bit of a Beta vs VHS thing - one is far superior in quality and reliability, the other has the major players backing it... Guess which one wins?

Back