• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Aussie Home Brewer and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or click here to donate.

Wtb- Spiral Burner Melb

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Muscovy_333

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

I am looking for a Spiral Burner or equivelent to boil 40 litre batches efficiently.

Let me know if you have anything old and dusty that you want to part with.
It's not urgernt but I am on the look out.

Costs $25ish to ship a new one from beerbelly. I got sick of waiting around for someone to sell - at least it's a good sign that they do the job well and are built to last.

The Beer Belly ones are worth the extra cost. Match them with a medium adjustable regulator, and I reckon it would bring 100lt to the boil.

I've got the old-style stand, it is nice and sturdy, and I imagine the newer ones are just as hardy, and have the extra benefit of the in-built wind breaks.

Yes, the cost of shipping to Melbourne is not cheap, but if you order a few other things from BB at the same time, they will pack them in the same box for no additional shipping (up to an additional 8 kilos, iirc)

Hey Muscovy,

As already pointed out, the spiral ones are a little cheaper, but I've got a spare 23 jet LPG Mongolian Burner available. These pump out a lot of heat from a low pressure reg, and so can result in an overall saving in the long run.

Mine includes the burner, mounted on a frame, a control valve, adapter, hosing, and reg for $160. I'll also throw in a fermenter if you like (as I have a heap spare!).

I've also got a couple of empty 9kg swappa gas bottles you can have as well if you like for $25 each. Actually I have a bunch of other random bits and pieces lying around which I don't need if you're interested (including a ported and tapped 60L Aluminium Pot, Fridge/freezer with temp controller, 20 plate Plate chiller, an Esky Mash tun , bench Capper and Refractometer).

I'm in Ascot Vale.

Let me know if you're interested.

Cheers,

Guava

I did this too.

Works great!

Thanks everyone.

@Acasta/Felton; Do you think that the cellar plus "Drago" will bring 40 litres to the boil nice and quick?
@Guava, thanks heaps for the offer. I have emailed CellarPlus for some details on the spiral but will keep your offer in mind if it does not suit....unless someone else snaps it up that is.

If someone else wants to jump onto Guava's ramdom bits, go for it.

I do 30L boil, with the adjustable reg they sell there.

Boils pretty fast. Turn it on as I start to drain second runnings and about 15-20min after thats done its at boil.

You shouldn't have problems with 40L.

Only thing is I'm not sure if their regs are that great. I have no experience with regs but it doesn't seem to do much haha.

Thanks everyone.

@Acasta/Felton; Do you think that the cellar plus "Drago" will bring 40 litres to the boil nice and quick?

I can probably provide some advice on this as I actually have both a Mongolian burner and one of the Spiral burner's offered by Celllarplus.

Having used both (both on low pressure regs), the Mongolian burner is much more efficient (brings water to a boil faster), and has a much stronger rolling boil (it's like a tempest in there).

Using the Spiral (on low pressure), I've found that it takes a while to get to get up to boil (I usually do ~25-27 litre boils) and has a weaker boil than the Mongolian when it does reach boiling temp. This may be less of an issue on a higher pressure reg, but it will also use more gas.

So, why am I selling the Mongolian and not the Spiral? Noise. The spiral burners are extremely quiet, whereas the Mongolian burners make quite a bit of noise. The Mongolian is quite an impressive burner, but I like a bit of a zen process on my brew day, and the loud noise gets to me.

I'll be interested to see others experience with higher regs as I may wind up picking one up myself.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,

Matt

I can probably provide some advice on this as I actually have both a Mongolian burner and one of the Spiral burner's offered by Celllarplus.

Having used both (both on low pressure regs), the Mongolian burner is much more efficient (brings water to a boil faster), and has a much stronger rolling boil (it's like a tempest in there).

Using the Spiral (on low pressure), I've found that it takes a while to get to get up to boil (I usually do ~25-27 litre boils) and has a weaker boil than the Mongolian when it does reach boiling temp. This may be less of an issue on a higher pressure reg, but it will also use more gas.

So, why am I selling the Mongolian and not the Spiral? Noise. The spiral burners are extremely quiet, whereas the Mongolian burners make quite a bit of noise. The Mongolian is quite an impressive burner, but I like a bit of a zen process on my brew day, and the loud noise gets to me.

I'll be interested to see others experience with higher regs as I may wind up picking one up myself.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,

Matt

Hmmm. Perhaps I should grab the Mongrel...I mean Mongolian..

Hmmm. Perhaps I should grab the Mongrel...I mean Mongolian..

I'm happy for you to come and have a go on both if you want (Just boil some water or something). You can make a call, and go for the Spiral from Cellarplus if you like it. At least it'd give you an idea of the options available and their upsides and downsides

I also had good experiences with emailing/phoning cellarplus when buying my 3ring drago, they were very helpful. recommend them

Yep, they have been great.
Is the drago and Mammoth the same burner with a different frame?

The burner itself is designed differently, I have no idea if it performs better or worse though. Might just be cosmetic.

ed: nvm

The Beer Belly ones are worth the extra cost. Match them with a medium adjustable regulator, and I reckon it would bring 100lt to the boil.

I've got the old-style stand, it is nice and sturdy, and I imagine the newer ones are just as hardy, and have the extra benefit of the in-built wind breaks.

Yes, the cost of shipping to Melbourne is not cheap, but if you order a few other things from BB at the same time, they will pack them in the same box for no additional shipping (up to an additional 8 kilos, iirc)

They will boil 100lt easily
Edit: with a medium pressure adjustable regulator

Just got a response from Cellarplus on the burner.
The Drago and Mammoth are a different setup but both give off the same btu heat.

The Orange frame is welded metal, not press . It is suitable for bigger pots larger than 60lt

Back