• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Aussie Home Brewer and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or click here to donate.

WTB: Over The Side Electric Element

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Amber Fluid

Beer Snob
Reaction score
I am wanting at least a 2000w element to hang over the side of my urn to ramp temps up quicker.

If you have one for sale, please PM me.

Thanks

If no one replies with one for sale, you might be able to find that your local electrical wholesaler can get them. I know that's where I got mine from, along with a number of other local brewers.

Otherwise try ebay. It might be 2400W instead of the 2kW you were looking for, but would still be fine through a standard 10A GPO.

Thanks Sponge.... just to clarify, I am wanting at least a 2000w one. A 2400w would be perfect ;)

I'll see how I go here then might check out EvilBay.

Also check out electrical retailers, like Tobins

4108A

2400W Plated Bent Immersion Heater

$100.49

Each

About the same price as ebay, but a known brand.

Ive just about finished making one. Total cost was $5.00 for the element as I had copper and everything else I needed at work.

manticle said:
There's one for sale here: http://aussiehomebrewer.com/topic/70927-brew-gear-for-sale-melbourne/

I've got my name next to it but I'd be happy to take it off as I was looking at it for a spare. No major need. See last page for complete list and prices for individual items.
Thanks for the offer Manticle, but I have no need for the extras and this is just a tad out of the price range.

Truman said:
Ive just about finished making one. Total cost was $5.00 for the element as I had copper and everything else I needed at work.
Not sure about this. $5 for the element..... ok but what would you want the copper for?

The copper is the handle.

I used a slighlty different element and had to cut a disc out of ali and use a compression fiting. But if you brought a different element you could JBWeld It directly into some 3/4 inch copper pipe to use as a handle.

element.jpg

These elements aren't over the side but from left field.

elements.jpg

I am aware the sponsors sell these but if I can pick up a second hand one that someone isn't using then that will suit me fine.

I could always cut a power cord in half and place the live and neutral in the urn and see if that works.... :unsure:

Cosmic Bertie said:
I love the electric element with the metal handle, Truman :D I'm not shitting you, if you know what you're doing, then im sure it would be safe.

However, for some of the more electrically-challenged folk, maybe its best to buy one from G+G and not have to worry about make an electroplating bath :lol:

http://www.grainandgrape.com.au/product_info.php?products_id=8227
I'm with you cosmic Bertie. I will be using mine plugged into my brew controller which is protected with an RCD. But I'm also confident in my mechanical and electrical abilities.

It's not all that different from having an electric element bolted into the pot.

Back