• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Aussie Home Brewer and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or click here to donate.

Wtb: Mash Paddle

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wimmig

Reaction score
I've looked around for a good sized mash paddle, but have come up short of what i would like. I know i could make what i would like, but honestly, i simply don't have the time at the moment.

With pref. i would love a paddle as per the link. Something around 90cm total, hardwood, food safe (raw hardwood, ss hardware if needed etc).

http://www.northernbrewer.com/shop/media/c...95/7/3/7321.jpg

Pretty open minded though, if you have one for sale i'm interested. Will barter for cash, my eternal love or a bottle of crown ambassador ale.

I bought a wooden mash paddle from a kitchen supply store in Wollongong for $13 and drilled a some holes in it. I bought a stainless steel paddle as well, for about $23. I wrecked an expensive step drill bit learning how to drill holes into it, I think I've got down pat now though.

There's a catering supply store in Newtown that might be worth a look. I got my stainless paddle there. About the same size, don't remember how much, but not expensive.

There's a catering supply store in Newtown that might be worth a look. I got my stainless paddle there. About the same size, don't remember how much, but not expensive.

Down towards Sydney Park near the Union Hotel?

Down towards Sydney Park near the Union Hotel?

Yeah, pretty sure it was these people. It was quite a while ago.

Universal Commercial Catering Equipment
9/605 King Street, Newtown NSW 2042
(02) 9517 1033 ‎
ucce.com.au

I made one using that pic as a template years ago.
I bought a cheap ($4) fork handle at Bunnings and used some stainless bolts and some scrap Meranti i had in the shed.

It only took half an hour to knock up. A good 24 hour soak in sodium perc every now and then bleaches it back white again.

mashpaddle1.jpg

I know you said you didn't want to make one, but honestly, it's very simple and quick.

There on ebay every now and then but not as mash paddle (although there is on on there now) which are the ebay stores of the catering/kitchenware companies.

Long catering grade stainless steel spoon works fine for me. I used to use a plastic slotted spoon until the handle finally broke (after 2 years).

You can buy stainless slotted spoons from catering shops for less than large amounts of cash although I just use my whirlpool spoon. I think on the size system that I have (basically I can do anything up to about 35 L FV) that the holes are largely irrelevant. Spoon edge is sharp enough to act as a rake and cut through potential doughballs (in fact I think it's much more effective than my plastic slotted spoon).

If you really want a fancy one for looks and bling, look up some of the mash paddles people have made and construct one yourself. Much more satisfying.

Back