• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Aussie Home Brewer and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or click here to donate.

Wtb: Crown 40l Urn (perth)

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kyleg

Reaction score
As the title states, i'm looking to buy a crown 40L urn to get back into some BIAB after recently selling my 80L pot and jet burner. If anyone is selling one, knows someone who is selling one or knows where I can get a good deal on a new one please email me at [email protected] or PM me on here.

Much appreciated.

Thanks.

Kyle.

As the title states, i'm looking to buy a crown 40L urn to get back into some BIAB after recently selling my 80L pot and jet burner. If anyone is selling one, knows someone who is selling one or knows where I can get a good deal on a new one please email me at [email protected] or PM me on here.

Much appreciated.

Thanks.

Kyle.

I can't help you out sorry but the Crown urn with exposed element is fantastic.
Cheers

i thought the crown ones were concealed elements?

cool thanks.

so you don't find exposed element a problem? i.e cleaning or burning the bag?

cool thanks.

so you don't find exposed element a problem? i.e cleaning or burning the bag?

Not really. I don't fire the urn with the bag in so can't burn it, but others use a cake rake or trivet, and remember to stir when adding heat. I haven't fired an urn with a concealed element to know if it burns the bag or npot, but I probably wouldn't try it just to be safe. Bribie G may know the answer to that one.

Cleaning of the element isn't really a problem. I wipe it with a cloth or scotch-brite after I brew, and every second or third brew i soak the urn in Napisan and water. Only once I had crud stick to the element but that scraped off with a paint scraper.

I did use a concealed cheap eBay urn in the early days and I had crud stick to that and wouldn't come off. The urn itself wasn't very good and from info posted on here they tend to burn out very quickly.

If you do some reading through the various urn threads on here, you'll find it's pretty much a Holden/Ford thing with Birko/Crown. i like my Birko because I didn't have to modify the boil dry protection and 1cm is roughly equal to 1 litre, so measuring volumes is easy. But I only bought it because I got it cheap from an eBay special one of the catering companies was running. Wouldn't have a problem with a Crown. Stay away from dodgy cheap eBay stuff though. Stick with these two and you won't go wrong.

try this thread post 15

I use a Crown exposed element. I have the roasting rack above from Robin's kitchen to keep the bag off the element when ramping from sacc rest to mash out. The exposed element is great, nice rolling boil.

You will pay around $300 for either a 40lt Crown or Birko. I worked out that if you bought a 50lt ali pot, a 2200W element and an electronic controller (STC 1000 or similar), it would actually be cheaper, and you would have far greater temperature control.

Food for thought....

I've done about 40 brews with my 40L birko exposed element unit, no probs.

As Tavas just said, make sure you clean the element each time, and just use a cake rack etc to keep the bag off of the element.

I use temp control on mine while mashing - works a treat.

You will pay around $300 for either a 40lt Crown or Birko. I worked out that if you bought a 50lt ali pot, a 2200W element and an electronic controller (STC 1000 or similar), it would actually be cheaper, and you would have far greater temperature control.

Food for thought....

You won't get mash temp control without recirculating the mash. You will then be looking at PID or the STC 1000, a pump & all the associated hardware you'll need to piece it together. The Crown Urn from Craftbrewer is only $260.00. A $16.00 roasting rack, a grain bag & a small grain bag for hop additions & your done.

You won't get mash temp control without recirculating the mash. You will then be looking at PID or the STC 1000, a pump & all the associated hardware you'll need to piece it together. The Crown Urn from Craftbrewer is only $260.00. A $16.00 roasting rack, a grain bag & a small grain bag for hop additions & your done.

Some good deals on the birko units on ebay at the moment.

I use a thermometer, a brown pump and the temp switch on the urn for mash temp control. I also use a cake rake to keep the bag off the element. My 20L urn setup owes me about $150 so far...

True, but no worse than a standard thermostat in an urn provides.

What I was suggested is it's actually cheaper to build an urn than buying an off the shelf item. Using a temp control gets me on the temp I want +/- 1*C which is better than calibrating an urn thermostat which never reads accurate to the markings.

You can buy 40L concealed or exposed Crown Urns from TWOC. I was bought a 40L concealed for my birthday this year. Loving it :D

Hmm in two minds now. Is that element in the link above any good for BIAB?

Is this new model better than the old keg king one that kept on burning out? I would make sure.

You only need to go through a couple and you've paid for an urn.

I have a crown concealed urn and honestly it is safe and easy to use and clean.

If it breaks I will go exposed element. People have gotten over 200 brews out of a birko or crown exposed element unit.

Hmm in two minds now. Is that element in the link above any good for BIAB?

Kyle it should suit, just make sure you have a pot with a diameter not bigger than the Urns.

I have an 80L pot i use with an over the side element 2400W and it can't get to a boil easily due to it being Aluminium (loses heat through side of pot) and having a large surface area. But there are tips on here how to overcome this i have yet to try. I run it in tandem with a 3 ring burner so have no issue hitting a boil.

I BIAB also.

The Over the side Elements are great things. The just hang over the side of the pot and can be removed when mashing (just remember to turn it off before removing from liquid.

A few people on here brew with them. Pretty handy too if you go to 3 vessel. No drilling pots, just adjusting a bracket on the element is all that is needed.

Cheers,
D80

Latest posts

Back