(wtb) amarillo rhizomes coming season west gippsland/se melboune subur

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

koshari

Reaction score
Looking to plant a couple of amarllo hops. If anyone knows/has anything that can help me out let me know. Cheers.

your hilarious mate. not a chance in hell of getting one of those.
they are a propriety hop and only grown in the states by select growers.
same with citra and galaxy.

Also koshari if anyone had 'em you'd be towards the back of a very long queue...

Bridges said:
Also koshari if anyone had 'em you'd be towards the back of a very long queue...
All good. Just direct me to where the line ends.

Question.... I knew the whole proprietary thing but for how long do they remain that way? Is it indefinite?

What would be the closest locally available variety?

Apparently it's a 20 year protection, so if Amarillo was registered in 2003 it's not until 2023 the variety will be open.

koshari said:
What would be the closest locally available variety?
As Barls said, if grown locally it would be different. U.S. Aus. and N.Z. cascade for instance are all a bit different.

Amarillo Rhizome Bulk Buy

1. koshari x2
2. Camo6 x2 (Depending on price)

Add your name to the list. Prices TBC. Pickup most likely from Yob's house around 2023.

Yob said:
1. Yob
2. Yob
3. Yob
4. Yob
5. Yob
6. Yob
7. Yob
8. Yob
9. Yob
10. Yob

Hey...Hey, wait a minute.

Went through the import specs with quarantine recently too - it's about 2 grand MINIMUM just to do testing once they land in Aus(that's for 3 or less rhizomes). + whatever charges the country of origin want to apply. And if the plants fail any tests you don't get them.

Not a process for the faint hearted..

good4whatAlesU said:
Went through the import specs with quarantine recently too - it's about 2 grand MINIMUM just to do testing once they land in Aus(that's for 3 or less rhizomes). + whatever charges the country of origin want to apply. And if the plants fail any tests you don't get them.

Not a process for the faint hearted..
more than that.. they need to be grown under lab conditions by CSIRO for 5 years.. multiply that number by 10

That's fucked! why should a bunch of test tube gawkers get a five year a jump on such fresh hoppy goodness, bastards probably don't even brew drink know what good beer is!

Ed: Lets start the BB for 2030 and with inflation call it $5000 $10,000 a zome, minimum of 80 takers.

It's one year (a full growth season) upon arrival in Australia. They sent me a list of the tests performed, won't publish it here but can PM anymore if they are interested (Viral, fungal and bacterial).

You have to apply for an import certificate and get a photosanitary certificate from the country of origin (which can also take a year).

I estimated total cost about $5k.

Edit: Provided the samples obtained are completely free of disease which is not easy (possibly need to be grown by a tissue sample or something before they leave the country of origin).

crikey, if they can import coke to the country then getting a few rhizomes through shouldn't be that hard.

Just pack them with headphones.

Latest posts

Back