Wrong Yeast

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

losp

Reaction score
I fucked up.
I had a shocking brew day on sunday. messed up in many ways, on of the worst ive had!!
Now ive just gone to the brew fridge just now and noticed that i have put a wyeast 2308 in an ale.
I put it in last night. I meant to put in an american ale yeast, cant find that now.

The fridge is set to 20c. I have another ale in there.

Anyone have any ideas about what i can do? just tip it down the drain or anyone got any other ideas?

I have just 1 packet of safbrew s33 at home. Thats it.

cheers,

Losp

I fucked up.
I had a shocking brew day on sunday. messed up in many ways, on of the worst ive had!!
Now ive just gone to the brew fridge just now and noticed that i have put a wyeast 2308 in an ale.
I put it in last night. I meant to put in an american ale yeast, cant find that now.

The fridge is set to 20c. I have another ale in there.

Anyone have any ideas about what i can do? just tip it down the drain or anyone got any other ideas?

I have just 1 packet of safbrew s33 at home. Thats it.

cheers,

Losp

How long has the ale been in there?

I meant the one that was already in there.

You could drop the fridge to brew the lager and take the ale out to brew in ambient temp. I wouldnt ditch it, it might be a winner.

I had a bad brew day a few weeks back, lots of sticky wort under the kitchen fridge. I feel your pain.

Absolutely no harm in brewing an ale with a lager yeast and vice versa, both will produce drinkable beers if you watch your temps. Possibly not exactly what you planned but somewhere between drinkable and fantastic.

I agree with GDH if you have somewhere that you can keep ambient without too much variation, bearing in mind the time of year it is, I'd get the first ale out and drop the temp of the fridge. If not drop the temp of fridge to 16dgs and see how both go. A sponsor on this site ferments ales at 19dgs without problems. Not sure if he has other processes which help this or not.

Yeah, but its already been in there a day. The way i see it i either have killed off the yeast or created funky ones.
Should i take a hydro reading to see if the yeast has done anything. If not, throw in the s33?
Other options? Reboil and pitch?

If you pitched at 20 it's only been at that tempt for 24hrs....................with the bulk of liquid in the fermenter under normal fermenting temp I don't reckon the difference between ideal and now would be that great. It takes a fair bit of time for the temp to drop anyway.

A sponsor on this site ferments ales at 19dgs without problems. Not sure if he has other processes which help this or not.

if he has "other processes" I think it's best we don't know about them ;) whatever he does seems to produce some damn fine beers

Mate, you have been given heaps of great advice. Take it as you want. Personally i would leave it, let it take its course and learn from the lesson. You might create a great beer.

If u want to boil, its your electricty/gas/yeast. Just think if you pitched an entire smackpack (which i assume you did) there goes $20.00 straight away if you want to reboil and repitch, then there is gas/power.......

Food for thought, it is still your choice.

Good luck! :icon_cheers:

A sponsor on this site ferments ales at 19dgs without problems.
Wow, how outrageous! :lol:

Yeah, but its already been in there a day. The way i see it i either have killed off the yeast or created funky ones.
Should i take a hydro reading to see if the yeast has done anything. If not, throw in the s33?
OP, you won't have 'killed off' the yeast, relax! It's only 20 degrees, no yeast 'dies' from those temps.

No 'funky ones' either, you might have a few more fruity esters than you planned, that's it.

Take your other ale out, drop your fridge to 12 or whatever and wait for the results, that'll be your best option. If you can't be arsed doing that, either leave both in there at 20, or at least drop them to 17 or 18.

2308 is a lovely yeast, provided you haven't brewed a crap beer in the first place this should turn out good.

Forget about repitching unless you are up for more experiments, you already have active yeast in there. Don't reboil.

EDIT: to much empty space

Got me Florian! You know I meant Lagers B)

Could you just drop the temperature and do the lager, and the ale yeast will have a nap, then after the lagers done you can increase the temp and wake the ale yeast up?

id do what florian said take the ale out and drop the lager simple and both beers will be fine

fark, the ale smackpack was prolly stored @ 4C in the fridge wasn't it! Keeping at lager temps won't kill it. Just chill out and do what Kelby said.

Thanks for the advice guys. Didnt mean to come off like a nutter! I just haven't done this before!

So here is what i did. the ale was sitting on about 1030 so i took it out, put it inside (Melbourne isn't going to be too warm the next couple of days)
The lager had fermented bugger all, if any, so i dropped the temp of the fridge down to 12.5c

Thanks for the advice all! Appreciated.

Wow, how outrageous! :lol:

OP, you won't have 'killed off' the yeast, relax! It's only 20 degrees, no yeast 'dies' from those temps.

No 'funky ones' either, you might have a few more fruity esters than you planned, that's it.

Take your other ale out, drop your fridge to 12 or whatever and wait for the results, that'll be your best option. If you can't be arsed doing that, either leave both in there at 20, or at least drop them to 17 or 18.

2308 is a lovely yeast, provided you haven't brewed a crap beer in the first place this should turn out good.

Forget about repitching unless you are up for more experiments, you already have active yeast in there. Don't reboil.

EDIT: to much empty space

Thanks Mate, Thats what i have done. I would usually make a starter if i was using that yeast though, so lets hope it goes alright!
And On the 2308 i agree. I have made many a marzen with that.
Its probably why i had it lying around and didnt know it.

Back