Wrong yeast type ruined beer

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Moad

Reaction score
Ever had a yeast impart the wrong flavours to your beer, nothing super obvious like a wheat strain in a lager.

I've done my regular modified smurtos rye golden that I use either us05 or wy1968 in and pitched some 1450. It has completely ruined what I was going for, it's early days so I won't be making a final call for another week.

Got me wondering if others have experimented with yeasts and found they don't match a particular brew they do?

1450, Denny's Favourite, is usually touted as a good all round yeast. So in what way has it "ruined" your beer?

For example I can't think of two yeasts more different that 1968 and US-05

Yeah, have found a pale ale malt bill that works excellently with 1275. US-05 however it strips a lot of the subtlety away, and hence needs a bit more spec malt.

Pitched T-58 into DSGA and hated it.

I'm trying a little creatures pale ale clone that I love, normally done with us05, had none yesterday but wanted to pitch a cube, so used 005 English ale, will be keen to see if it makes a slightly more malty beer.
Cheers

Moad said:
Ever had a yeast impart the wrong flavours to your beer, nothing super obvious.
Got me wondering if others have experimented with yeasts and found they don't match a particular brew they do?
Yeah its in my notes. Then again I've had some winners too.
Why not blend yeast if you have your brewing techniques down. We eagerly blend Malt bills and Hop bills.
If you brew well its just that strange new flavour is new to your senses. That's the way I'm finding it.
I gave beer away that was strange to me and the recipients wanted to pay me for more! I declined and drank the aged lagered bottles I had left and it was freakin good beer. An out stander in flavour but like nothing I can find off the shelf.
Storage capacity is the real problem for most of us.
Even if I ditch most of a beer I've made I also bottle some for long time lagering in the beer fridge. If there is space. You just never know.
Its a time thing for some beers. 12 months in a fridge can be the key to a great beer from a strange beer. As long as there are no fermentation faults.

Definitely not tipping it, it's not bad just not what I'm used to on this beer. Happily used 1450 in a pale I do regularly.

1968 accentuates the malt while us05 lets some subtle hop flavour through on this beer, different yes.

The 1450 has made it taste a little more earthy, I think it's somehow highlighted the rye dry pepperyness.

I've been playing with the 3 in all my regular beers now I can split 120L up.

Blending is a good idea, I think I'll let this one go another week before I do anything drastic. Guess that's half the fun, trying out new things...sometimes it works sometimes it doesnt

Moad said:
Ever had a yeast impart the wrong flavours to your beer, nothing super obvious like a wheat strain in a lager.
Yep, I recently used BE256 as a substitute for Wyeast 1388 in a Belgian blonde ale. Sandshoe* city, here we come.

I'm drinking it as punishment for making a dumb mistake.

* 4-vinyl phenol (formed from p coumarate by POF+ yeasts) smells like old sandshoes to me. Evidently others find it smells like wax or lipstick.
Interestingly I once asked a former colleague who is now a senior brewer with James Squire why one of his beers had a 4VP taint and he didn't know.

Back