Wrong bottles - help needed!

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

edward service

Reaction score
Hey gang,

Have I totally cooked it? First brew - I have made a delightful smelling and tasting pale ale brew from a grain recipe from a friend. After three weeks in primary fermentation I was struggling to find time to bottle, for some reason had an obsession to bottle in glass and as my local brew shop was closed I went to Kmart and got some of these swing top guys.

https://www.kmart.com.au/product/1l-clip-top-bottle/2410303

Only after bottling did I research and realise that the quality of the bottle is critical and that these bottles may either (a) not be able to hold the gas and not carbonate properly or (b) bottle bomb.

Any advice? Should I transfer to new bottles and risk oxidising the brew? Should I wait and just see what happens?

I have used two coopers drops per liter (a little less than recommended) and it is pretty cold in Melbourne atm so shouldn’t be going too berko.

Thanks heaps,

I doubt you will get a bottle bomb, don't transfer to other bottles, don't worry if it goes a bit flat, keep it in the dark, and plan ahead.:)

They might be ok... would definitely be very careful with them.
Store them somewhere safe so if they explode, you won't get any injuries and the glass/liquid will be easy to clean up. I wouldn't bother re-bottling them - if you don't want to use these bottles, I'd pour it out. But that's just me - maybe you can be bothered taking all the time to do it, knowing you're risking a shitty beer. Will just say, if you do it - do it ASAP.

When I made a shitty brew that was prone to exploding, the ones in Grolsh bottles survived. I think the gas pushed the seals out, so air could escape instead of the glass exploding. Hopefully, if these bottles aren't pressure rated, this happens for you as well.

In the future, Big W is your best bet if the homebrew shop is closed. They have the Coopers Home Brew stuff, so you can get clean PET bottles.

I doubt they will hold pressure once carbonated

also clear bottles Are a bad idea. Sunlight will
Ruin the beer

Latest posts

Back