Help Support Aussie Homebrewer by donating:

1. We have implemented the ability to gift someone a Supporting Membership now! When you access the Upgrade page there is now a 'Gift' button. Once you click that you can enter a username to gift an account Upgrade to. Great way to help support this forum plus give some kudos to anyone who has helped you.
    Dismiss Notice

Wrong bottles - help needed!

Discussion in 'General Brewing Techniques' started by edward service, 17/6/19.

1. edward service

Posted 17/6/19
    Hey gang,

Have I totally cooked it? First brew - I have made a delightful smelling and tasting pale ale brew from a grain recipe from a friend. After three weeks in primary fermentation I was struggling to find time to bottle, for some reason had an obsession to bottle in glass and as my local brew shop was closed I went to Kmart and got some of these swing top guys.

https://www.kmart.com.au/product/1l-clip-top-bottle/2410303

Only after bottling did I research and realise that the quality of the bottle is critical and that these bottles may either (a) not be able to hold the gas and not carbonate properly or (b) bottle bomb.

Any advice? Should I transfer to new bottles and risk oxidising the brew? Should I wait and just see what happens?

I have used two coopers drops per liter (a little less than recommended) and it is pretty cold in Melbourne atm so shouldn’t be going too berko.

Thanks heaps,

2. malt and barley blues

Posted 17/6/19
    I doubt you will get a bottle bomb, don't transfer to other bottles, don't worry if it goes a bit flat, keep it in the dark, and plan ahead.:)

3. onemorecell

Posted 18/6/19
    They might be ok... would definitely be very careful with them.
    Store them somewhere safe so if they explode, you won't get any injuries and the glass/liquid will be easy to clean up. I wouldn't bother re-bottling them - if you don't want to use these bottles, I'd pour it out. But that's just me - maybe you can be bothered taking all the time to do it, knowing you're risking a shitty beer. Will just say, if you do it - do it ASAP.

When I made a shitty brew that was prone to exploding, the ones in Grolsh bottles survived. I think the gas pushed the seals out, so air could escape instead of the glass exploding. Hopefully, if these bottles aren't pressure rated, this happens for you as well.

In the future, Big W is your best bet if the homebrew shop is closed. They have the Coopers Home Brew stuff, so you can get clean PET bottles.

4. mongey

Posted 18/6/19
    I doubt they will hold pressure once carbonated

also clear bottles Are a bad idea. Sunlight will
    Ruin the beer

5. wide eyed and legless

Pro Pro

Posted 18/6/19
    Agree with mbb and mongey they will not hold pressure and become bottle bombs, probably will not allow oxygen in but drink asap, JIC.