Wrights liquid smoke

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cat007

Reaction score
Hi all,
This weekend I'm brewing a smoked porter - but unfortunately my LHBS doesn't have smoked malt.
I have some wrights liquid smoke hickory - can I use this?
Has anyone else used liquid smoke, in particular wrights, which has no additives?

Cheers
Hunt

Cant comment on how well it will work, just that the 3 flavours Wright's make don't include any Peat typical in Whiskey making malts (Peated and Heavy Peated), nor the Beach of Rauch Malt from Germany, nor even the Oak Smoked Wheat used in Grodziskie (among a couple of others).
Point is you may well get a good smoky flavour, just wont be the typical flavour associated with known beer styles.
Would strongly recommend you add it post fermentation, God knows what would happen to it during the brew.
Pour a glass of beer (known volume) and add 1 drop (1/20mL, 0.05mL) of your smoke flavour, stir gently, let it rest for a couple of minutes then taste it, add to taste, keep count of the drops, should give you a fair notion of how much you need - it's a shed load easier to add more than to pick it out with tweezers!
Mark

I’ve got some but am hesitant to use it in a smoked beer. It seems a little ‘oily’ for lack of a better word. I reckon it would badly affect head retention, that’s just opinion & not based on anything scientific

Back