Wpl810 Liquid Yeast

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

quincy

Reaction score
I have been told that this yeast is Ok for Pils although it is a Lager yeast.

Suggested Temp is 16-19deg which is more like an Ale temp so should be OK??

The yeast was thrown in free with about $200 worth of gear I bought from the local brew shop.

I wanted to use it under the same conditions as my previous batch (Pils fresh wort) instead of safale 04 to appreciate the difference between dry and liquid.

Do you guys see any probs ??

Cheers

A quick check on promash has this yeast at optimum temp of 15.5oC. Otherwise no. could be the equiv to wyeast 2112 cali lager which promash has listed as opt temp of 17.2oC

Basically ..... yeah should be fine

Thanks guys.

Will try it and see what happens.

Cheers

I wonder what sort of flavour you would get from using this yeast at those temperatures.

Could be worth a try.

Cheers,
Jase

Anyone used this yeast for a lager pilsner at the higher temps with success? Was going to try the 2112 california lager but my local guy only supplies white labs..

Am looking for a faster yeast while retaining lager characteristics

I've brewed a few California Commons with the WhiteLabs SF lager yeast and it seems quite good/ clean at warmer temps. Have not brewed cold with it, but would expect a clean lager-like finish.

Seth

Thanks Weizguy, I was planning on brewing it at about 16C, hoping it will still keep the clean lager finish while fermenting a little quicker. On top of this it being high in flocculation, it seems like a great yeast if you want a quick lager/pilsner...

Good day
I use it in 99% of my lagers. Get the best results at 10-14oC but have brewed up 16+oC (not my choice, end of winter). I find helles at this temp takes a bit of aging to get the real clean lager flavour. Bohemian pilsners, amber and dark lagers are more forgiving. Except for German pilsners and lighter bodied lagers this is great lager yeast with a very good malt profile. Very easy and forgiving to use.

Thanks Barry, I was planning on using it for german pilsners so you recommend to brew it a little lower such as 12-14C?

Good day
Yes it is best at the 10-14oC IMHO. it might be a bit malty for a German pils (re style guidelines) but it would be a good beer. Try to mash at 65-66oC to get the lighter body.

Back