Wpl810 Liquid Yeast Tastes Funny

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Coodgee

Reaction score
Hi guys, I am very new to liquid yeasts and this is the first one I have brewed with. my current lager is fermenting at the moment at around 7-18 % I am not going for a very correct style. I tasted my beer after about 5 days in the fermenter and it definately has a different taste that I have never tasted in a brew before. I can taste the saaz hops and pils malt but there is this other flavour there as well that overrides the malt and hops.. it's strange, a powdery/chalky even slightly milky taste.. like if you mixed pineapple juice and milk together and drank it maybe.. this is the same as the taste of the starter and the taste of the residue of yeast in the vial. so I don't think it is an infection that I have caused.

maybe I am not describing this right. but it certainly is nothing like a clean lager taste at this stage.

so..

1. is this a normal taste and smell?

2. is it likely to disapear with cold conditioning.

nb I have taken the sample from down in the trub every time. it's very cloudy with some solid clumps of trub in it...

not sure If I should use this yeast for my octoberfest tomorrow...

I would wait till you have tried a sample that is clear and has fully finished fermenting before leaping to any conclusions on that, I have had some strange flavours and textures from too-cloudy partially-finished beer before.

Coodgee said:
it's strange, a powdery/chalky even slightly milky taste.. like if you mixed pineapple juice and milk together and drank it maybe.. this is the same as the taste of the starter and the taste of the residue of yeast in the vial.

maybe I am not describing this right. but it certainly is nothing like a clean lager taste at this stage.

so..

1. is this a normal taste and smell?

2. is it likely to disapear with cold conditioning.

nb I have taken the sample from down in the trub every time. it's very cloudy with some solid clumps of trub in it...

not sure If I should use this yeast for my octoberfest tomorrow...
[post="68255"][/post]​

Coodgee,
Sounds about the right tastes for a lager of that age.
Four days is not long enough for a lager to remove it from the yeast.
Plan your Octoberfest for next weekend when your first lager has finished.
Also, for a lager, do everything in your control to get those ferment temps constant at 10-12 degrees C.
Scottish ale or Californian (Wyeast 2112) yeast would be the go if you have no temp control

White labs site says proper temp is more like 15-18oC for the WLP 810

And the pineapple milk flavour will be the yeast and its "by-products"

Latest posts

Back