Wow! Ive Got Down To 14.c!

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ben_sa

Now in 3V
Reaction score
Hey guys
Im making a pils from Goliaths, Czech Pils masterbrew with a tin of canadian blonde, Anyhow im using Saflager 34/70 (i THINK)

I normally brew inside at 20-24.C, Whch is never a problem coz i have never used anything apart from Kit Yeast

Now Dave said this will be fine upto 22.C, Im using it between 14-16.C.... 14 at nights and early mornings, Then upto about 16 during the day, simply with cold nights in Adelaide, and i wet towel and sitting in a box of water basically....

Should this turn out Ok? and how long should primrary fermentation take? I put it down on Friday @ 1040 and its now about 1030, i measured it last night and cant be stuffed taking it out of the box, uncovering it etc etc afdter 3 days

SO yeah.... Any info would be rgeatly appreciated
Ben

My notes say that fermentation with this yeast should be held between 9C and 15C, so you are using it a little high.

Lagers typically take between 2 and 3 weeks to finish.

hmmm maybe ill go buy some ice and throw that in with the water....

I told dave i didnt have a fridge to brew in and he said not to worrry....

hmmmmm

You can use a lager yeast at ale temperatures to make an ale, or use it at 8-10C to make a lager. The converse is not true, i.e. you cannot make a lager by fermenting with an ale yeast at lager temperatures (except for the versatile Nottingham yeast!!!)

Jovial Monk

back in the day i used saflager yeast (4-6 yrs ago?!?! cant remember) and the HBS never told me about temp's so i just brewed it expecting a boags copy, well it never happened but the beer was not bad, so i expect yours will taste fine, i was brewing in the shed in summer :) so prob atleast 10deg higher than you

relax and try it when finished, time wise leave it 10 days and try the FG, otherwise leave it 2 weeks (the yeast cake will be fine at lowish temps for 2 weeks)

I have used 34/70 at those temps 14c to 16c with a Grumpys Schultzheis? lager.
It brewed in the primary for 14 days and then I racked it to a secondary for 14 days and it attenuated really well and then i cubed it for about seven weeks and then kegged it and bottled what was left.
It was one of the best beers that I had done at that time and I would definately do another one.
I would stick to the temps you are at and it will be fine.
By the way it was Dave that sold me that kit and offered me that same advice.
Hope this helps you Ben,
Cheers

BEN sa ,
Let us know how it turns out. I have got a ESB Czech Pilsener i have been holding off doing until the depths of winter. I have got the same yeast and have been told i should brew at about 8 or 9 deg. 15 sounds a bit more reasonable.

checked this last night (day 6) and its down to 1020, I keep filling to foam box up with water and throwing ice in, Seems to be about 16-18.C all the time now, NIce amount of Krausen on top though :eek:

Ben

Would it be about time to rack this bad boy now. At 1020 i would of thought it was a good time, i could be wrong?

Did you rehydrate the yeast or just dump n stir?

Currently in Cold Condition, Due to my fairly high temp, I racked at about day 8 and put straight into cold condition.

Smells abso-bloody-lutely fantastic!

Best smell ive had thus far :) If thats anything to go on, Im going to try and leave it in CC until i get my Kegs, ABout 4 weeks away.....

Ben

Hey Ben,

How'd your brew turn out?

Cheers,
Jase

Back