would 50 litre keg be large enough for double batch?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bowhunterslodge

Reaction score
Hi guys done a few biab single batches using 40 litre pot,
looking at being able to do double batch using your standard 50 litre keg,i believe they hold 56l?

looking at setting up a 1 vessel brew,having an inner pot or i ve seen a nice mesh pot/ filter from usa

i m fermenting into corny kegs which i believe hold 19l and i am not after full strength,happy with mid,so would using approx 10 kilos grains and allowing for loss to evaporation etc,would it be suitable ?

thanks in advance
pat

You should be able to.

With my 50L pot I'm able to fill 2 x 20L cubes (~23L each) but that's very full so it takes a lot of monitoring and at flameout isn't being able to whirlpool so the cubes end up with fair amount of trub.

If you're only looking to knock out ~ 40L and allowing kettle loss to end up with 18L or so into the kegs it'd be fine.

with a BIAB it will be tough, you'll need to sparge etc..

The brewmesiter is a 50 and will do doubles so it's do able.

The most I would boil in a 50L keg would be 40 - 42L due to boilovers which is not enough to fill 2 kegs on my system. Might depend a lot on boil vigour and evaporation rate.

ok thanks folks,grateful for quick response s, i ve downloaded brew smith but new to that side of things..
thanks again
pat

Standard keg holds 50L, american kegs hold 58. If you can come across one go for it, saved my bacon a few times when brewing higher gravity beers with long boils

A standard 50 is fine for doubles but you do need to watch and make sure. For a 5L boil off, and a 40-42L batch (2 kegs plus fermentation and kettle losses if you can reduce them) you still have at least 3L of space for hot break to form, and if you don't use a lid for the whole ramp time it won't boil over if you know your element/burner

I also ferment in 19 liter corny kegs, but as you need some head space in the keg for krausen etc. you probably won't be filling the kegs right up from the kettle.

I use Fermcap S to keep the krausen down, but even then leave two or three liters of head space in the kegs when fermenting.

I do doubles in my 50litre keggle all the time. 42 litres start of boil, ends up with around 32 litres, maybe more. Fills 2 15litre cubes with a bit left over. They're 15 litres but I'm sure they hold about 17 litres. A midstrength for me uses about 5-6kg all up

yes i need to learn / find on brew smith how to adjust the grain amount to a mid strength,,cheers

Latest posts

Back