Wort Temperature By Direct Probe

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hogan

Stalag Brewery
Reaction score
Anyone had experience in using a fixed probe to measure temperature of the wort during fermentation. The probe connecting wire would pass through the fermenter lid and attach to a digital thermometer outside the brew fridge. It would have to be santised and suitably sealed where the connecting wire passes through the lid. Would there be much (if any) difference to the temp of the wort fermenting as opposed to the internal temp of the fridge?

Hogan

Not woth the hasel IMO. But an interesting observation worth noting for new brewers is, when I ferment a Lager I stick it in the fridge and the thermometers in the door tray reads between 8 & 9 deg C , but a quick gravity sample, early in the fermentation process, reveals a wort temp of approx 11 or 12 deg C. As this only needs to be approx, I have not worried about exact temps, I am more troubled with the temp of the mash, but thats another thread.

STEPHEN

Yep agree with SJW. Unnecessary IMO. If you want an accurate temp reading make a belt of insulated material about 10cm wide around the middle of the fermenter (foam camping mat or other suitable stuff) and put your temp probe under this-between the fermenter wall and the insulating material. This will give you an accurate measure of fermenting temp without having to dangle anything in your wort. Adjust external temp accordingly.

Cheers, JD

Thanks guys.

I'll give your idea of the insulation belt a try Justin.

SJW you hit the nail on the head with the temp variation. I knew the ferm process produces heat and therefore the wort should be warmer inside than the temp outside but I did not think it would vary by as much as 3.c.

Regards, Hogan

Back