Wort Lifespan ?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

redbeard

Sth Seas Pirate Brewery
Reaction score
about 3+ weeks ago i did 2 ag brews on consecutive days. the 1st went into ferment fridge and is now cc'ing. the 2nd, i put into a spare cube, with some co2 on top, awaiting a fermentor & fridge space (both pils). being slack, it has been sitting on the balcony, where the temp has been around 15 - 20'c. today was warm, around 30'c. i noticed the cube had foamed up a bit, and loosening the cap released some gas. i wasnt expectng this, as had sanistised the cube. the $64 question is should i try to ferment it in the next few days or is it contaminated & should be chucked ?

redbeard said:
about 3+ weeks ago i did 2 ag brews on consecutive days. the 1st went into ferment fridge and is now cc'ing. the 2nd, i put into a spare cube, with some co2 on top, awaiting a fermentor & fridge space (both pils). being slack, it has been sitting on the balcony, where the temp has been around 15 - 20'c. today was warm, around 30'c. i noticed the cube had foamed up a bit, and loosening the cap released some gas. i wasnt expectng this, as had sanistised the cube. the $64 question is should i try to ferment it in the next few days or is it contaminated & should be chucked ?
[post="86192"][/post]​

foaming doesnt sound too good mate. i would tend to think that if you were going to store wort for any period of time, it would be best refridgerated to minimise the chance of infection.
If i had any doubt as to whether it was infected or not, i think i would chuck some yeast into it right now. Let it ferment out and see how it turns out. If you have it sitting around for another week before you ferment, then whatever bugs are in there are going to have plenty of time to take over.

vlbaby.

30 bucks for an extra fermenter/$60 bucks worth of beer

redbeard said:
is it contaminated & should be chucked ?
[post="86192"][/post]​

If it's been sitting upwards of 3 weeks unpitched I think you've answered your own question. :blink: :blink:

At very best I'd say let it keep fermenting. You may have found your very own Lambic strain. ;)

Warren -

redbeard said:
[post="86192"][/post]​

Sanitisation isn't sterilisation. You really shouldn't store unfermetned wort unless you are confident that you can store it sterile.

As Warren says..You may have found your very own Lambic strain.
I had a wheat beer last year restart after 14 days fermenting [7 prim ,7in 2nd and FG was good] with a creamy foam, I thought infection :( it went for another 14 days, I tasted it and it was fine, after 2 weeks it was fantastic :D , I tried to cultivate it from the bottles but it would not start, still have a few left.

as a followup, i fermented it with a pilsner yeast around 15c from memory. then cc'd for a couple weeks & then kegged. just drinking it now. tastes great, very quaffable. guess i got it just in time :)

redbeard,

Next time, U might wish to put the wort into the cube when it's still above 80C, like the ESB Fresh wort, and just cap it. That should be sterile enough, and be able to be stored for some time. Pref, in the dark & cool.

I had an ESB Fresh Wort stored for a number of months and it was still good when eventually pitched.

...assuming that the cube can handle the heat.

Seth

Ive racked postboil straight into a cube for later fermentation a few times (as RE; Rays Wort Kits Thread).
I have had no dramas with infection.

Latest posts

Back