Wort In FV Without Yeast - How Long Is Too Long?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stilvia

Reaction score
I brewed a Cali Common on Wednesday. Was down to temp and in my fermenting fridge but the 2L yeast starter wasn't quite finished (I'm used to doing 1.3L and didn't expect it to take much longer). I took the starter off spin the following afternoon and put it in the fridge so I could decant the wort off. Was pitched into the fermenter the following morning. All up the wort was in the FV for just under 40 hours.

I know this isn't best practice, but what is the consensus on the maximum safe time (assuming sanitation is on point) you'd leave your wort in the FV before pitching?

How long is a piece of string?

Depends on weather/temp local microflora, how well it's covered, etc.

I've had spare wort smell fine a few says later when kept covered in the fridge. Could also go bad in 12 hours.

manticle said:
How long is a piece of string?

Depends on weather/temp local microflora, how well it's covered, etc.

I've had spare wort smell fine a few says later when kept covered in the fridge. Could also go bad in 12 hours.
14.2 meters.

It smelt fine. I suppose I'm just chaising a second opinion. Never seen a topic about it so thought I'd ask.

Sorry to thread jack but it's relevant.

I know no-chilling in a cube is common and good results but can you no-chill in the fermenter, add hops? Wait for temp drop and pitch yeast?
Full volume boil BIAB...

You can but it is a risk. No chill works because you hot pack close to sterile wort in a sealed container. If not doing it into a cube, next best bet is covering the kettle (properly -sealed glad wrap or similar) and letting it cool in there.

peekaboo_jones said:
Sorry to thread jack but it's relevant.
I know no-chilling in a cube is common and good results but can you no-chill in the fermenter, add hops? Wait for temp drop and pitch yeast?
Full volume boil BIAB...
This is pretty much what I do.

Transfer boiling wort from kettle to fer, onto hops if its a single no-chill flameout addition, leave until cool and pitch yeast.

The only caveat is that if there is an excessive amount of break material (so that the finished yeast cake will be at tap level), I'll transfer into a sterilised fermenter and leave break behind and then pitch.

I never leave it more than 24 hours.

Back