Wort Chilling?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

glitchpop

Reaction score
How important do you think wort chilling is for ales? Can't the wort get too cold for pitching yeast?

You need to chill the wort in order to have right pitching temperature. So its very important.

Ales are generally fermented at higher temperatures than lagers, but the range depends on the strain you're using.

As a rule, cool your wort to about 20C and pitch the yeast, regardless of the strain.

With lagers, wait until the yeast starts, then cool further below 10C. Ales can be fermented in the range of about 14 to 22 degrees.

So, yes it is possible chill the wort too much, but its very hard to get the temperature below the range for ales.

WJ

Thanks. :D Sounds like really good advice.

So is it necessary to chill rather than just allow the wort to reach room temperature in the fermenter and then pitch the yeast? I understand there is the rick of bacteria but if I've sanitised there shouldn't be any in there anyway, right?

In my opinion, its better to get the wort down to pitching temperature as quickly as you can. Getting the yeast going sooner reduces the risk of infection.

Sanitation is good, but the airborne bacteria and yeasts can be a problem.

WJ

As a rule, cool your wort to about 20C and pitch the yeast, regardless of the strain.

With lagers, wait until the yeast starts, then cool further below 10C.

Ales can be pitched at around their fermenting temp (usually 16-18deg) without any problems.

Lagers can also be pitched at their usual fermenting temps (12-14deg) however for example if using dried yeast like a s-189 or any similar yeast u should pitch double the amount ie 2 packs or 23gms.

I would always pitch at higher temps (20C) and then bring the wort down to fermenting temps, depending on the yeast strain.

The rationale is to get the fermentation going ASAP and increase the population of yeast.

This leads to rapid CO2 production and therefore less chance of infection.

WJ

Im a newbie but i have made two ales. To beat this summer heat I make up 6 trays of ice cubes and add them to the wort. Making sure that the water levels are right. I mix the ice cubes around the wort. Temp check I get about 20 deg cel for the wort once the cubes dissolve then in with the yeast and close the lid. Then she sits near the air con....have fun.

How important do you think wort chilling is for ales? Can't the wort get too cold for pitching yeast?

Depends how your brewing - if your doing all extract or modifying kits and doing full volume boils - then chilling is very important - you dont want to pitch your yeast into 90C+ wort!
If your mixing a kit with tap water (how most of us start). Well, I think I can remember back then (only 18 months :p) - id just use a litre or 2 of boiling water to dissolve the kit goo and whatever other fermentables I was adding, then topped up from the tap - sometimes add some ice. I always came up around 20-25, throw in the yeast, bobs yaruncle. not really chilling as such in that situation.

when I used to do kits, I would only use enough hot water to disolve the can and sugars (or 2 cans) and top up with tap water pitch around 22-26 deg C and away you go, now I AG I just cube and store till needed.
Cheers.

Im a newbie but i have made two ales. To beat this summer heat I make up 6 trays of ice cubes and add them to the wort. Making sure that the water levels are right. I mix the ice cubes around the wort. Temp check I get about 20 deg cel for the wort once the cubes dissolve then in with the yeast and close the lid. Then she sits near the air con....have fun.

simple but effective isn't it.

cool :p

So you're not boiling the water that goes into the fermenter? Straight from the tap? Doesn't that mean that unwanted micro-organisms are likely to infect the wort?

Ice cubes :) good idea.

It is good practice to boil the water for your ice as it sterilises it and drives off the chlorine

I use to freeze 2L ice-cream containers of water (pre-boiled) to lower the wort temp in my kit days. Then when i starting using grains/hops i sat the pot of malt/hops in a sink of cold water for 10-15 mins. If the pot is small enough you can do it in the kitchen sink and use the water which is warmer to do dishes.

1/ Not that important. 2/ IMO, temp control at pitch and primary is paramount.
Glitch, as long as your beers are tasting ok, worry about asthetics (haze etc) later, get your pitch and ferm temp very close then go from there. When i was doing k & k`s i experienced every bug possible, i still have some of it( awaiting a kirby salesman or paytv rep) , most times i put this down to water (not boiled) my ag`s are great and i havent changed course re sanitation, only the boiled verse not boiled. Ohh FWIW, i just boiled boiled up 30 ltrs with some hops, i have 2 cans from 9 months ago some lme some dme some dex and heaps of patience, tomorrow night i will finish off with the moon beer.
Good Luck, Cheers n Beers
Haysie

Back