Wort Chiller Pond Pump Idea

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chrisluki

Reaction score
I cant remember where i saw the idea, but it sounded pretty cool and i have splashed out to buy the bits.

Essentially, to speed up my wort chilling so that I can do a school night brew and waste less water, I am going to rig up a chilled water source and recirculating pump to my immersion chiller.

For the first few minute of my chill, when its pretty easy to get the temp down, i will run my usual garden hose through the chilling coil and collect the water for cleaning.

Then I plan to switch over to my secondary cooling where chilled water will be pumped through from a big eski via a recirculating pond pump. The water will be chilled with frozen coke cans filled with water (40 or so) and pumped through the coil and back into the eski.

I am thinking that this will get me to my target temp more quickly than my usual 30 - 40 minutes of tap water. Once done, i simply put all the cans back into my beer freezer for next time.

Thoughts? Anyone doing something similar?

Cheers

Chris

Hi,

That'll work.

The very best way to have lines chilled using ice is how the old jockey boxes work. The ice sits on the plate and as the heat and cold is transferred between the plate and ice the melted ice water drains away off the plate and out the drain plug.

real_beer said:
Hi,

That'll work.

The very best way to have lines chilled using ice is how the old jockey boxes work. The ice sits on the plate and as the heat and cold is transferred between the plate and ice the melted ice water drains away off the plate and out the drain plug.
Thanks for that!!!

MAN

There are some truly epic topics on the very subject.....

Grab a beer my friend and hit the AHB search button. :super:

Ducatiboy stu said:
MAN

There are some truly epic topics on the very subject.....

Grab a beer my friend and hit the AHB search button. :super:
Maybe i found it here then?

Wherever i found the idea...the pump, the coil and the tubing is all set and ready to go for my next brew...and i have a beer freezer full of cans to chill the water down.

Cheers

Yeah, I've dabbled with this method and it works a treat. I cool the wort using tap water down as much as I can with the rather tepid water up here (get down to about 35-40c) and then switch tubing over to an esky full of ice that I recirculate though. That brings the wort down to pitching temperature in about 10 minutes or less. It works a beauty.

The bonus is the using he tap first you will get a few minutes of hot water to wash your mash tun out with and rinse off split wort

Note: Buy some welding gloves cause that water comes out F*cking hot

I used to do this, but returning the cooling water to the iced water bucket soon warms it up.

Now I have a second immersion chiller that sits in a bucket of iced water. The hose from the tap goes to this first and reduces the temperature of the tap water before it goes into the immersion chiller in the wort.

I still collect the first runnings for cleaning, but the rest goes on to the garden.

I find this a lot more effective than pumping the iced water through a single immersion chiller as the iced water stays iced water for the duration of the chilling.

Just my 2 cents...............

Edit: Punctuation.

Cervantes said:
I used to do this, but returning the cooling water to the iced water bucket soon warms it up.

Now I have a second immersion chiller that sits in a bucket of iced water. The hose from the tap goes to this first and reduces the temperature of the tap water before it goes into the immersion chiller in the wort.

I still collect the first runnings for cleaning, but the rest goes on to the garden.

I find this a lot more effective than pumping the iced water through a single immersion chiller as the iced water stays iced water for the duration of the chilling.

Just my 2 cents...............

Edit: Punctuation.
Double immersion...i like this!

I was doing the same thing, but using a spare 30L fermenter to hold the cold water & pond pump. Through a 25ft (I think? pretty damn long!) coil the flow rate is not huge, less than a tap on full bore, maybe 5-7 litres/min? Found that with Tas water temps of about 12 degrees that it wasn't worth the hassle of juggling ice blocks, and a simple change-out of about half the water after 10mins meant I was down to about 30 degrees in another 15-20mins. Pull the coil, a little whirlpool, then pop the lid on for a few hours to clear right up. This bit is the risky part I think, letting it sit around in the urn (BIAB only).
Have just started making a souped up version, using a 220 litre poly drum and a cheapo house pressure pump off ebay. Total cost plus fittings of $70, and it fairly belts the water through. 220 litres of cold water takes a lot longer to be warmed appreciably, I get down to pitching temp in about 10mins flat. But when there's a leak.... oh man....
cheers!

Oh geez, this idea of mine failed so miserably at the weekend...

Firstly the pump wasn't strong enough to pump more than a dribble through the hose into the immersion chiller, so i had to revert back to water from the tap.

I had also used different (cheaper) hose to connect to my chiller which burst twice to dilute my beer slightly! Luckily my son was on hand to turn the tap off as i scrambled to spray the water anywhere but my beer...resulting in a very flooded garage floor!

Anyway I was thinking that maybe i could rig up something whereby i could have a coil (or two) of garden hose in my 60l eski, filled with ice and water, and create some kind of ghetto refrigeration system that fed colder water into my immersion chiller.

Has anyone been successful with such a system?

I'd guess the garden hose would be more of an insulator than a conductor of heat (as copper is).

ed: Lyall from QLD who used to take out the lager and pilsner medals in the Nationals used to freeze 2L ice cream tubs full of water in his chest freezer and use two Bunnings handipails full of them to chill a brew. I sat in on a brew day at his place and it took him 10 minutes to get down to pitching temperature.

I also have an immersion coil and pond pump if anyone interested, $60 the lot, never used, but would be a ******* to post. I'm happy with no chilling. (maybe that should be in the "what did you buy last night while pissed" thread :lol: )

Northern Rivers NSW.

chrisluki said:
Anyway I was thinking that maybe i could rig up something whereby i could have a coil (or two) of garden hose in my 60l eski, filled with ice and water, and create some kind of ghetto refrigeration system that fed colder water into my immersion chiller.

If the coil in your esky was copper, would work better - maybe Bribie's immersion coil might fit? Or just get some copper tubing from somewhere and bend it like Beckham yourself.

chrisluki said:
Oh geez, this idea of mine failed so miserably at the weekend...

Firstly the pump wasn't strong enough to pump more than a dribble through the hose into the immersion chiller, so i had to revert back to water from the tap.

I had also used different (cheaper) hose to connect to my chiller which burst twice to dilute my beer slightly! Luckily my son was on hand to turn the tap off as i scrambled to spray the water anywhere but my beer...resulting in a very flooded garage floor!

I used recirculating ice water through a plate chiller with excellent results. Normally comes out 12-14c. I know it's not quite the same, but recirculating ice water can be awesome.

I recirc ice water through a plate chiller like chris7. 15litres of water in an old fermenter with a pond pump. Add a bag of ice as it melts. Depending on flow rate and how much valve fiddling i can be bothered to do i usually get within a degree or 2 of my pitching temp in one pass into the fermenter. I can see you burning through bags of ice if you are just using an immersion chiller, you'd want to have a decent whirlpool going at the same time.

The pond pumps don't like a lot of head loss, I run mine with the water sitting at the same level, so losses are limited to line only. Its still a bit though given about 10m of half inch pipe means there's only 5-7 or so litres/min. Put the bucket on the floor so the lift is 1m or so and that flow drops to about 3 L/min.
I used crappy pvc pipe which gets soft, gotta watch it doesn't crimp or slide off :(
Other than that, its not too bad.
cheers!

WP_20131123_008.jpg

I tried something similar. Two counter flow chillers in series. first tap water, second chilled water from fermenting freezer. It worked well, got wort from 90degC to 28degC to 12degC. Was a bit of extra work etc. Now just use a plate chiller with tap water and put the 22degC wort in the fermenting freezer for the night and pitch in the morning. 50L of wort is chilled in 10 minutes and I got hot water for the clean.

I was given a chilling unit and may revisit wort chilling again. First up will be fermenting temp control.

BTW I usually brew at night after work.

Coil formed chillers are actually the WORST form to use. They chill the wort close to the coil but the rest remains hot. They may look pretty but are terribly inefficient

Next time you use your coil grab your thermometer and measure the temp near the coil and then in the middle. Even though the output of the coil will be cold the centre of the kettle will still be very hot

The best chiller looks like a random ball of tube, bit like a bowl of spaghetti.

If you are a die hard coil chiller then its best to stir or agitate your wort to mix it up get it to cool quicker, but this creates a problem of stirring up all the trub

I worked out very early on just how bad a straight coil was and built the ugliest mother of a randomly betd tube thing you ever did see, but it chilled the wort in about 1/3 the time as a straight coil

Dont believe me....make one and see for yourself :)

And also...just use water straight from the tap for the initial temp drop, it will drop pretty quick, then use the ice bucket to drop the last 15-20*. That way you dont need so much ice

Latest posts

Back