Wort Aeration Pump

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pbrosnan

Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm looking at some aquarium air pumps to use for wort aeration. I've seen a 6.5L/min on eBay. If anyone is using a set up like this do they think this is this an appropriate rate. What other gotchas might there be?

I am using a 3.5L/min pump with a small airstone. Works really well, and foams up after a min or so. I usually run it till it is foaming 3 or 4 times.

I have a variable flow rate aquarium airpump. I've use mine inline after the CFWC. Being variable output I can control how much air is pumped into the wort based on the wort flow rate.
Also I found it works best with a 2 micro aeration stone. The pump wasn't powerful enough for a .05 micron aeration stone.

Beers,
Doc

Hi all,

Thanks for the info. The pump I was looking at was variable to 6.5L so it'll do. Next question is about the stone. I see Grain & Grape have some on sale at the moment. Is this the best sort to get (SS, 2.0 or 0.5 Micron, $29.95) for the money. And is there a prefered solution for filtering the air, I mean sterilising before the air is pumped into the wort?

2 micron and an inline air filter will do the job.
Ideally you would pump pure O2 from an O2 cylinder in.

Beers,
Doc

Dont go the 0.5 micron stone as you wont have enough pressure to push through it. Also, grain and grape sell sterile filters for placing inline with your stone if your worried about pumping nastys into the wort.

vlbaby.

Do not get any moisture in the inline filters, or they clog. Otherwise you can use them a few times. I sanitize the line with iodine, and have had a drop run back into the filter.

The 0.5 micron need heaps of pressure to use them. I do not know the exact figures, but usually they are only recommended for people with oxygen cylinders.

Make sure you wash the stone after using it, doesn't take much to clog it.

Do not use bleach at all on it.

I must need a bigger pump. Mine won't push through the HEPA filters at all.

I believe the inline filters are actually designed for liquids ( for the medical industry) and should only flow 1 direction. But i guess pumping air through them may negate the directional problem, just make sure its flowing the same wayeach time so you don't blow last times filth back into the wort.

Borret

I have decided to give the aquarium pump and 2um air stone a try as I have had some disasters in the past when pouring from one vessel to another from height to aerate the wort.

I received my aquarium pump in the mail today and my air stone shouldn't be too far away.

I have been reading up on whether or not an inline air filter is necessary. Some say yes, some say no. I have read that if the pump is sitting on a sanitised surface, than it is not really necessary to filter the air.

Being paranoid, I would like the added comfort of knowing the air oxygen pumped into my wort was filtered and as sanitary as possible. Craftbrewer no longer stock the inline filters. Anyone know of where I can get one? Or should I just go without?

Borret said:
I believe the inline filters are actually designed for liquids ( for the medical industry) and should only flow 1 direction. But i guess pumping air through them may negate the directional problem, just make sure its flowing the same wayeach time so you don't blow last times filth back into the wort.

Borret
Some are designed to filter liquid and some are designed to filter the air used on pumps/pipette fillers and the like. I can tell you from experience though, you get it wet and it's fit for the bin.

Dan2 said:
I've got one on it's way from Gryphon Brewing
Can't say whether or not you (or I) will need it, but for peace of mind. .. .
Cheers Dan2.

I ended up ordering one from Gryphon.

Still interested on hearing any tips from guys who aerate this way i.e sanitising techniques, how long to aerate etc.

I use a syringe filter from Kegking and reckon its a cheap investment when using a pump.

I recently made the move to one of Connorbreware's O2 kits but used an aquarium pump for twelve months prior. I'd recommend using thin aquarium silicone hose as it's low memory properties ensure it drops right to the bottom of the fermentor. When I first used my airstone it was blocked but a dip in metho had it blowing freely. I used to leave the hose and stone bubbling in a jug of starsan for a few minutes then would leave it in the fermentor for at least ten minutes till the foam was almost overflowing. This seemed to have good results for me.

I think my pump is too tiny.

I have been using a 1.6L/min pump with an inline filter and air stone. It foams a bit but not to the point where it is likely to overflow. I probably get about an inch of foam on top at best after about 20 min in the wort.

I have fermented good beers doing it this way so I'm still getting O2 into the wort. I think I can do better though.

Any recommendations on what a minimum L/min pump rate should be for adequate aearation?

Aeration.JPG

Have moved away from pumps for the moment.. far too much faffing about for my liking, blocked stones, keeping lines clean, filters... BAH!!

plug into drill, Wiiiiiiiiiiizzzzzzzzzzzzzz, hit with hose, starsan and back in the brew cupboard.

Aeration.JPG

Have moved away from pumps for the moment.. far too much faffing about for my liking, blocked stones, keeping lines clean, filters... BAH!!

plug into drill, Wiiiiiiiiiiizzzzzzzzzzzzzz, hit with hose, starsan and back in the brew cupboard.

Wheredidyageddit?

Back