Wort Aeration.. Is It Always Needed?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I haven't used danstar personally, but yeasties need oxygen to do their thing. I would aerate to be safe even if it says don't bother. A stuck ferment is a waste of your time, money and effort.

Was just having a look through the nottingham dried yeast instructions online and noticed the following:
"It is unnecessary to aerate wort."
http://www.danstaryeast.com/sites/default/...m_datasheet.pdf

Is this correct? Just about every bit of information I have read on all grain brewing states the opposite?
O2 is stored in the dry yeast, a result of the dehydration process. No need to aerate dry yeast. Most important to rehydrate the yeast before pitching.

Apparently they're dried in peak health (helps them survive the drying process), with their glycogen/trehalose reserves already built up as much as possible.

Extra aeration doesn't hurt though.

O2 is stored in the dry yeast, a result of the dehydration process. No need to aerate dry yeast. Most important to rehydrate the yeast before pitching.

OP said 'no need to aerate wort' not dried yeast..

I stopped wort aeration about 100 brews ago. Even with Wyest its not needed, esspecially if u pitch enough yeast.

Steve

I stopped wort aeration about 100 brews ago. Even with Wyest its not needed, esspecially if u pitch enough yeast.

Steve

Although you might get beer your happy with without aeration (due to overpitching) - its not the best advice and probably wont produce the best beer. Its proven that yeast need oxygen for growth. Most people (especially newbies) dont pitch enough yeast. So the growth stage is even more important for them.

Found this on their FAQ (http://www.danstaryeast.com/frequently-asked-questions):

I always aerate my wort when using liquid yeast. Do I need to aerate the wort before pitching dry yeast?

No, there is no need to aerate the wort but it does not harm the yeast either. During its aerobic production, dry yeast accumulates sufficient amounts of unsaturated fatty acids and sterols to produce enough biomass in the first stage of fermentation. The only reason to aerate the wort when using wet yeast is to provide the yeast with oxygen so that it can produce sterols and unsaturated fatty acids which are important parts of the cell membrane and therefore essential for biomass production.

If the slurry from dry yeast fermentation is re-pitched from one batch of beer to another, the wort has to be aerated as with any liquid yeast.

wort aeration is sometimes absolutely necessary - in most instances will probabyl help - and will never hurt

Not that hard to shake the fermenter for a couple of minutes is it?

I don't find it hard to aerate, just found it interesting that they specifically mentioned it wasn't needed.

people are lazy - i tell you my product alows you to be lazy, the other guys tell you that you'll need to do some work - who sells more product.

In normal beers, with no particular challenges, in single batches, if you ae sure you are not going to re-pitch the yeast - you'll most likely get perfectly acceptable results if you dont aerate dried yeast.

Its not "needed" - but that says absolutely nothing about what's optimal.

They didnt mention it on the packet so I doubt it would entice lazy brewers (In fact they talk about rehydrating on the pack which fermentis don't so if anything their product sounds like more work to a new brewer)

Latest posts

Back