Wort Aeration Equipment

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Trough Lolly

"Drink, Feck, Arse, Girls"!
Reaction score
Hi Folks,
Can anyone recommend an outlet that sells SS or Ceramic diffusion stones and 240v air pumps (like the Tecra-Tec DW12 advertised on Northern Brewer and Morebeer), that is nearby to Canberra?

Cheers,
TL

Grain and grape in Melbourne my friend. I can't see them on their website so give them a call, I know they stock the stainless aeration stones but I don't remember the price but off the top of my head I think they were $25-$30. As for 240V air pumps-do you mean like aquarium pumps-if so then pet shops/aquarium shops ;) :p

Cheers, Justin

JD
do you know what type of SS aeration stone? ie from St Pats or Morebeer?

Hi TL,
I made up a copper ring with a series of 1mm. dia. holes drilled in it and fixed it to the bottom of my chiller. I set the compressor to 5psi and it bubbles away happily for about ten minutes and does a wonderful job. If I dont watch the pressure, it can fill the garage with sticky bubbles. I throw the contraption into the wort about ten minutes before flameout to sterilize.

Chiller.jpg

I got a 2 micron S/S stone & inline air filter from Morebeer and a $15 aquarium pump from the local pet shop. I made an extra hole in the fermenter top and thread through the stone via a cored rubber stopper and it works a treat. I let it run overnight after pitching.

One word of advice though.... get a 2 piece airlock that you can use to make a blow off tube, you're gunnu need it !

I also have a stainless air stone from morebeer , and a large volume air pump from an aquarium pump I got online for $90 , has heaps of gutz , will run 25 aquariums

Hmm quick poke around at work and I have a 2 micron SS scinted filter :ph34r: which should do the trick. If I can get a cheap pump on the w/end I may give this super airation game a shot :)

i got a 2micron ...or 5?!?! from Grain and grape , that was the last one and about 3 weeks ago so they should have more soon as they ran out within a week :) cost $29 ...

the air pump from a pet shop...

set the pump on low and it will run non stop without over foaming, set to high and it foams up real quick

i used it in 2 batchs and have had the best attenuation ever ;) money spent, i guess money "well" spent...

P.S starteres have close to double the amount of yeast now with the airation running ;)

G+G have 2 micron ss stones.
They also have .2 micron in line air filters, $2.50
Picnic taps for $10.
Buffer solution sachets.
Lots of good books.
Hops, buy a kilo and they will break it into 4 types for you at the kilo rate.

Thanks for the great info guys...Much appreciated.

Tony, your setup looks great - but I use a counterflow chiller - never mind - you're thinking outside the square like a good brewer / scrounger does!
Cheers,

TL

Pikced up an aquarium air pump today for $15 and grabbed one of the air stones they use in fish tanks (orange thing, some kinda sand material) ... may just boil it for 15 mins and see if it holds together, if so then may just use this ... only cost 95c so its worth a crack I figure.

Jason

I use a standard aquarium pump and aeration stone, however the "stone" I have is made of plastic. I saw the stone ones you were talking about but I was concerned of pieces of it falling off in my brew so I went for the plastic one. It has worked bloody brilliant so far and I wouldn't brew without it now.
The only problem I had is it floats, but I put a small Stainless Steel nut over the tube to make it sink.

Hoops

P.S. here's a pic of my aeration system when I was splitting my WLP001

yeast_starter.JPG

Jason - I tried one of those silica/ceramic type coloured ones in a glass of water overnight and the water the next morning tasted bloody horrible. I'd fork out for a S/S version - mind you the plastic ones might not be too bad either

Hey Hoops,

With the in-line air filter, which is the right direction to have the air flowing through it, or doesn't direction matter?

I used the pastic stone for the last year, soaked it in napisan, rinsed, then used iodine to sanitize. Worked great. Looking forward to trying the new ss air diffuser out, now that I have the right sized tube to go over the barbs.

Not sure if direction is important but one of the connectors is bigger than the other. That is the side that normally fits onto the syringe so that is the IN side.
I use it as I was paranoid about pumping copious quantities of wild yeast spores and bacteria into my wort.
Hoops

Goat said:
Jason - I tried one of those silica/ceramic type coloured ones in a glass of water overnight and the water the next morning tasted bloody horrible. I'd fork out for a S/S version - mind you the plastic ones might not be too bad either
:unsure: erk well its in the beer now! I boiled it for 10mins and it never disintegrated or made the water turn orange (it is orange). Only thing is that after about 15mins of running the fermenter is full of foam and the air lock pukes :(

May just give it a few blasts tonight and then take it out and leave the yeast to their work. :rolleyes:

Beware with those artificial (plasticy) air stones from the pet stores in regards to sterilizing them in alcohol, apparently they dissolve in alcohol. I haven't presonally experienced this but did read it somewhere so thought I would pass it on. Other sanitizers I would assume would be fine but you can't really beat just boiling a ss airstone.

Sorry Hoops, I haven't seen them so I dont know what they are like. I just found out about them through the newsletter.

Cheers, JD

I ran mine in a few changes of water, to get rid of any flavours.

And yes hoops, am with you about paranoid pumping of air.

The next thing you need with your starter setup is a stir plate.

pint of lager said:
The next thing you need with your starter setup is a stir plate.
Careful, don't get JD started!

Justin said:
......but you can't really beat just boiling a ss airstone.
I agree 100%. I would much rather a SS stone that I could put in the pressure cooker.
I still really want a 0.5 micron one from St Pats. Bloody $300 minimum order.

Back