Worst equipment purchases

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
JDW81 said:
Stuff to build a keezer collar, 3 days before the freezer blew up.
No way
Did you use it on another freezer

stupid ******* KK mini co2 regulator and filler thing - broke before I dispensed a beer, now it's in pieces

One of those shitty hydrometers from Big W that only go up to 1040.
Yeah, right. 1040. Cos no beer ever went above 1040 right?

The only time it's useful is when I break a proper hydrometer.

petesbrew said:

or for FG readings ;)

petesbrew said:

SBOB said:
or for FG readings ;)
Oh yeah, I forgot to add, only FG readings.
Amazing this little bugger has never broken in all these years...

Haha. Nah, it's ok, s'pose I'll keep em. Everything has its place, etc [emoji41]

I'll try to remember to bring you a nice lager for your bday [emoji12]

Bought a commercial fridge for $500 off Gumtree, forgot to ask for them to put it on for a while before I got there. When I rocked up I asked them to put it on lights worked compressor worked so I grabbed it got it home and it wasn't cooling got a fridge mechanic to have a look and it had lost its gas and the compressor was on the way out.

Was going to grab a ss brewtech mash tun though, because I'm a tight arse, got a cooler style one been dealing with leaks ever since.

Feel like since I brewed a few FWK's that all my all grain gear seems a waste, FWKs are just so damn easy and the quality is as good as anything I can do, though, much less variable of course. G&G FWK less than $40 when on sale, which though more expensive than I can make it for, saves me hours in the brew house.

Stainless plumbing fittings and false bottom to convert a Crown urn into a brewery........

Because SWMBO went and bought a grainfather when i asked for the urn.

I guess I can use some of the plumbing stuff to convert a Big W stock pot into a sparge water heater.

petesbrew said:

I thought the same when I got it put the box and never used it.......

...... until the dog chewed the plastic one that came with the kit and I had a brew in the fridge I was waiting for FG.

Mattrox said:
Stainless plumbing fittings and false bottom to convert a Crown urn into a brewery........

Because SWMBO went and bought a grainfather when i asked for the urn.

I guess I can use some of the plumbing stuff to convert a Big W stock pot into a sparge water heater.
Not the worst problem to have...

petesbrew said:
Semi useful for FG as you can get better resolution out of it

damoninja said:
Semi useful for FG as you can get better resolution out of it
You could water down the hot wort with cold water and do a calculation to workout what the original gravity was that could also help with the wort being to hot

Geez, after reading some of this stuff I feel much better about spending $2.85 on that hop sock yesterday only to find it already had two big holes in the material.
Yay to 1st world problems eh?! :)

good4whatAlesU said:
Plus 1 for buying a heat pad whilst living in a hot climate (goose!).

Pumped out a bunch of evil fusels on the first batch, went in the cupboard never to used again.
Heat pads just need judicious use. I use one to heat the air in the fridge/ insulated brew box, in conjunction with a temp controller and probe.
The heat pad should not be in direct contact with the fermentor, for best control, so I just sit mine on another shelf or lean against the wall beside the fermentor.

rude said:
No way
Did you use it on another freezer
Not yet, as I'd already built the collar then the freezer s#^t itself :angry:

I'm actually looking at moving soon, and Mrs JD wants a new fridge, so I've put dibs on the old one for the kegs.

Back