Worst equipment purchases

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If the stone blocks dip it in metho with your pump running.

SBOB said:
i have one of these and think its great. Much faster than trying to funnel from one bottle to another
Yep, have worn one out, second one is getting on as well.

2much2spend said:
Ordering 1/2 cam locks from one HBS then buying more from a bulk buy on AHB only to find that they are different sizes, when when they are both '1/2in'.
WTF!
Yes, bit of a trap for the unwary - 1/2in is the through diameter only, actual connecting parts can vary - always bring along one from your supply when buying more to check they are compatible.

Mardoo said:
FWIW I've had zero issues with my stone in the last two years using the Smurto method:

Never touch the stone. Store the stone and hose in Starsan (made up with distilled water so the pH stays low). When using, hook up hose to tank and turn O2 on while the stone is in the Starsan. Move to fermenter and aerate. With O2 still on return the stone to the Starsan. Turn O2 off, disconnect hose and make sure the hose and stone are submerged in the Starsan. Change the Starsan every month or so, depending on how often you use the stone.

If you want to, you can save on the 02 by using a CO2 source and y-splitter:

68-041214025826.jpeg

My procedure is to turn on CO2, dip into sanitiser, into wort, turn on O2, turn off CO2, aerate, turn on CO2, turn off 02, dip into sanitiser again to clean, remove and keep CO2 going for a bit to dry out air stone.

Camo6 said:
If the stone blocks dip it in metho with your pump running.
Crikey! I thought this was a good idea and then thought pumping pure O2 through metho with an airstone might be a bit risky?
68-210614235617.gif

I think metho might still be a good way to unblock an airstone (esp if wort has gotten into the pores and dried up) but maybe shake off the metho and use CO2 to flush the stone? (and need to get rid of all metho before using in wort).

That's why I said turn your pump on!

I suppose there would be a risk with O2 and a flammable liquid. Exercise caution!

I've only ever needed to do it with a new stone and used my air pump to blow through it. It had almost no flow so let it sit in the metho for 30 secs, turned the pump on and voila!

Now I just give it a spray with metho before turning on the o2 and immersing in starsan.

This book:
ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1435486822.406037.jpg
I brewed kits many moons ago. This book is responsible for thousands of dollars of equipment, fridges everywhere, countless hours on an online forum and a disregard for beers all my friends enjoyed.
My wife is still regretting the Father's Day purchase.

Camo6 said:
That's why I said turn your pump on!
Ah yes, didn't quite register that - just saw the red and ran for it.

Still, worth warning for those who do use O2.

Another vote for the filters.

I used to filter nearly all of my beers despite the hard work.......... Then I discovered Gelatin :D

I still have an unused filter sitting in the shed somewhere.

Anyone want to purchase it? :lol:

kennek said:
Have always had problems with them sucking air down through from the outta tube then tiny bubbles heading up through the inner syphon hose. ( not sure if it's similar to your problem? )
But if I clamp a clothes peg or similar on syphon tubing to slow the flow rate it helps to eliminate the problem, just takes longer...
Looks like we all got one from the same batch. Time to look at a better option or newer siphon. I had a jiggle valve syphon that I used (only ever for beer), and it worked well. Not sure why I spent money on the auto siphon and persisted with it.

Nizmoose said:
small hose that you have to boil the end of to fit on the siphon (much the same tightness as beer line on disconnect barbs. and for the inner tube letting in air: a really small amount of keg lube on the piston rubber seal will keep it doing its job :)
Negative, guy. Did not help at all with my siphon. YMMV. May have been old and perished before I bought it.

* Still not my worst purchase. Out of date kits should be thrown out by lhbs and not sold to unsuspecting and trusting customers.

_WALLACE_ said:
Cheap eBay thermometers and keg king elements, i believe it would be safer and more economical to breathe on my kettle than use those piece of shit elements.
These 2 would be my worst ones too. I've had too many cheap thermometers over the years, and had 5 kk elements with zero remaining working.

Danscraftbeer said:
One of those pump syphon thingoes. For the life of me I cant make it work, it would hideously oxygenate and destroy the carefull labored brew.
What is the trick? those dudes on youtube do it so easily! grrrrrrr
Ditto.

Aquarium pumps to aerate my wort :angry: . First up I bought a small pump but no bubbles. Talked to the LHBS and they asked me if I had handled the diffusion stone, which I had, so gave me another. Still didn't work, so bought a bigger pump. Still didn't work. Cleaned the stone in metho, still didn't work. Turns out it just doesn't have the guts to go through a 0.22 micron filter. Now have an oxygen system :) and two dusty but unused aquarium pumps.

Yeah the counter pressure bottle filler was damn useless, as was my brew filter! haha It's so good to see other people have had the same issues. I'm considering reusing the housing as a water filter now, as I ditched my other water filter a long time ago.

Blichmann beer gun. Messy, difficult to use and flat bottles. Some can do it, not me.
Brewbrite. Didnt make any difference to my beer. Probably I didnt need it, but still a dumb purchase.
Knock off John Guest fittings. Lost a few gas bottles.
Cheap beer/gas line. Didnt fit well into genuine John Guest or knock off fittings. More gas lost.
250mL flask
Spear for a 50L commercial keg - turned out it was the disconnect at fault, not the seal on the spear...

There would be more...

Back