Worst Comerical Beer You Had

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Living in the states for 18 months or so, I was unfortunate enough to taste some terrible beers. You know all the shockers in Oz, and the mainstream ones in the states (though Bud Light and Coors Light are WAY worse than their regular counterparts.) These are some others:
MILWAUKEE'S BEST - aka "the beast". Before NY banned drink promo's, some bars actually GAVE it away. Free. Milwaukee's Best Ice and Old Milwaukee are just as bad. Ice beer is 5% or above.
PABST BLUE RIBBON - Available in many bars for less than a buck
GENESSEE ICE/LIGHT and NATURAL ICE/LIGHT - Cheaper to buy than the Beast
LABATTS BLUE and KOKANEE - The Budwieser of Eastern and Western Canada respectively
SOL - Fairly similar to Corona
CRISTAL - Peruvian swill that gave me dysentery

There are plenty of other bad ones out there, but the names elude me at this point. I hope ya's never have to sample any of the above
Trent

Trent said:
PABST BLUE RIBBON - Available in many bars for less than a buck
Sells at the bottleshop round the corner for a lot more than a buck... I can't say as I've eer been interested in trying it.

Kai
I think its only a buck in bars in the states cause people know what its like, maybe they figure people dont know too much about it here and they can make more money! Nice choice to not try it, and if they get PBR in, see if they can start getting Arrogant *******. If ya could swing that, I reckon most homebrewers on this forum and grumpy's would be forever indebted to ya! (provided they could get it sent to emselves somehow)
All the best
Trent

It issomething of a sport amongst homebrewers to carry on about how crap the local megalager is. We really have it pretty good here.
Go out and buy a Miller Lite and a VB.
Chill them, open them, and pour into glasses.
Take a hit from the ML, then you will grab gleefully for the VB.
The yanks make the worst beer in the world.

though, I did have a "Wheat Beer" from the Cheers brewery in Brisbane which was so cloudy that it looked like brown milk. The clown behind the bar - Johnny no-stars - said that was haw wheat beer was supposed to be. Idiot.
Not quite as stupid as Jenny no-stars, who last week put ice in my guinness, and claimed that she didn't know that it was beer, and that she had never seen beer so dark.

dreamboat

Talk about knowageable bar staff, I asked for a vermouth and coke for my wife and was told by this bird behind the bar ,sorry we dont stock vermouth ,when I pointed to a bottle of Cinzano, Oh didnt know that was vermouth.

About to do a backflip here....

Had a VB the other day, my first in quite some time, it was free on the Qantas flight I was on...

That stuff really is shit! Apple and soapy aroma....taste the same, but it did hold a nice head in the quality plastic cup

dreamboat

I noticed that too on my way back to the states, that the little tins of VB on the plane tasted like crap. Not sure why, but what can you expect from a megaswillery.

Trent is dead right
Old Milwaukee is for dead beats and drunks who cant afford listerine or turps.
kokanee and labatts are for those who no longer care and have made the decision to die.

Coors Lite is the worst thing ive ever tasted in a can, including motor oil.

Best commercial beer ive ever tasted in the states(atleast in the bar I worked at) was Rickfords Red, a red ale that was a great drop, but noone drank it and it I dont think the brewery that made it is around anymore.

anyone remember courage draught :eek: was 1/2 the price of other beer for a while and for good reason <_<

someone mentioned kb it was good till tooths took over the courage brewery the kb with a red horse on the can was kb :unsure: the can with a white horse came from the courage brewery and tasted like the courage crap put me (and a few others ) off kb till we knew what to look for :angry:

fourex xxxx gastric in a can we used to call it!!!!. 1 or 2 of these & straight through
having rello's in qld i found drinking 1 or 2 cans every 12 mth's stopped the through effect

oh & powers bitter if not ice cold (what happened to brisbane bitter)

yank beers the only reason yanks homebrew is to get a beer with taste

Tallgum said:
Talk about knowageable bar staff, I asked for a vermouth and coke for my wife and was told by this bird behind the bar ,sorry we dont stock vermouth ,when I pointed to a bottle of Cinzano, Oh didnt know that was vermouth.
:lol:

I had a similar experience with incompetant barstaff recently. Ordered a pint of Kilkenny and was about to walk away with it, when I noticed all this dirt on the inside of the glass! Not cool, and probably says how many pints they sell. :huh: Anyway I pointed this out to the young lass behind the bar, who apologised... then poured the beer from the dirty glass into a clean pint glass! "There you go sir, sorry about that" :eek: :rolleyes:

An Irish theme pub near here has a Fine Ale Bar. First time we went there, I asked the bartender what Ales he had on offer. It turned out he had no idea about what is an ale or a lager. He was very friendly and we found something new (I forget the name). It wouldn't take much to teach your bar staff about the beers they serve.

Oh beer in the USA is donkey!

Coors light bad, Coors extra gold worse
Pabst blue ribbon bad, Jacobs Best worse (possibly the worst)
Michelobe light bad, Michelobe Ultra worse
Shlitz bad, Shlitz ice worse

I started homebrewing because I couldn't stand the beers at the distributer, and I love good beer so it was making me crazy

I'd like to put in a nomination for JS pils. It doesn't taste any different to the strong ale I had a few weeks ago other than the fact it's a little weaker, and the strong ale was pretty damned bad too.

The general concensus of the Adamstown Heights Gentlemens Club ( a respectable beer tasting organisation) is that a beer from Vanauatu (another VB?) is the worst commercial beer we've ever encountered.

I don't have the tasting notes, but think it was roughly the colour of Newcastle Brown Ale with little gooblies floating in it. To be fair, it may not have been fresh.

As for JS pilsener, I can name dozens of commercial beers I'd give up in order to drink a JS pils. Tooheys Pils for one!!

perhaps not the worst commercial beer, but one i can't handle is Steinlager.

I really can't stand the green bullet hops and get fatigued after one schooner(SA). This is coming from someone who can't get enuf cascade.

Swan Brewery WA

Make a so called draught , in a blue can , yukko !

MOST commerical beers i'v had in usa ARE DISH WATER
How ever most of the local brewerys ,micro brewerys brew good beer :chug: like Alaskan amber,flat tyre,BUCKET OF BLOOD,cold foot pilsener, dos equis from Mexico
:chug: :chug: :chug:

These beers make me sick to the stomach!!!!!!!

1.VB
2.Tooheys New
3. Carlton Cold
4. Any light beer.

:blink:

anything that advertises that its cold filtered is shite.
but whatever floats your boat i guess, i have guys that come in to work and absolutely swear by there beer of choice (VB, CC Reschs Real even Tooheys Gold.....)

Has anyone tried Tooheys PILS, this has got to be the crappiest beer I have ever tried. Their attempt at creating a "true Pils" is laughable beyond belief and their claim of using Saaz hops is also laughable, I think they waved the hop label over the boiler and that was it.

A truly unremarkable, bland, tastless beer that is nothing like a true pils.

Back