Worst Comerical Beer You Had

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jazman

Fishweide BrauHaus
Reaction score
Whats the worst commerical beers you have had

1 west end draft

2 vb

3 crown lager

4 cascade sparkling pale ale bought one to day and tipped half of it down the sink must be to much por hops

Jazman said:
3 crown lager
While probably not being the worst I have ever tasted - I am still amazed how they keep selling this as a 'Premium Beer'.

...I think it was "the great beer-strike of '78" here in the home of XXXX.... the highway south musta bin end-to-end semi's of cartoned beer! It came from everywhere.. brands I'd never heard of.. but the worst, undrinkable, was "Southwark" -from SA I think it was.

...the drop I found least offensive in those dire times was "KB", in a lil' keg-shaped stubbie.

That was back when each pub only sold one brand, and you could still smell a public bar three blocks away.... literally finding a pub by "following your nose" :p

Stratis said:
Corona, Bud and Carlton Cold come to mind.......
Its a long time since I've tried bud so I cant comment on it.

I'd have to agree on the carlton cold though.

As for corona, I dont think I'd rate it as one of the worst beers I've had. If its drunk in very hot/humid weather, its quite refreshing (though tasteless with no palate :p ). Very inoffensive beer. I dont like it, and its overpriced crap, but its not what I'd consider to be a "terrible beer".

My terribles:

Tooheys Extra Dry (what the hell is this??? its sure not beer, all i know is it gave me a headache after 3/4 a bottle, and I can down a fair few strong ales)
Carlton Cold (this tastes like off hops and chemicals)
Carlton Draught (same as above, but more chems)

fiscus - As for crown, its marketed as a premium beer, so people beleive its a premium beer. Its amazing what marketing can do.

VB
Tooheys Extra Dry
Carlton Cold
and most of the major US brands, Coors, Bud, Miller .....

I like beer, but with these it is just wasting my time. They look, smell and taste like shit. They are so full of shit ingredients a banging headache is all you get.

Doc

Definitely Carlton Cold, followed closely by it's baby brother Light Ice.

definately going with snow here..

i dont mind crownies..

a mate who has just started brewing was asking me how he could replicate a carlton cold.. i said 'i dont know, maybe wash some dishes in the wort before after and during the ferment'

GSRman said:

i dont mind crownies..

a mate who has just started brewing was asking me how he could replicate a carlton cold.. i said 'i dont know, maybe wash some dishes in the wort before after and during the ferment'
GSRman - alias Bro P76

Sounds like you are formulating a recipee...
Notice you didn't mention hops.....

GSRman said:

i dont mind crownies..

Don't forget to urinate in it....

1). US Bud. - the Czech Bud is awesome

2). Miller

3). Carlton Cold

4). Hahn Ice

5). VB

I'm also tempted to throw in Kilkenny but I know many of you really like that style. Personally I think it is all style and no substance... or flavour...

Gough

1/ I lump Cold & Crown together - just try the experiment of blind tasting them and all you'll notice is that vague nutty taste at the back of the tongue.

2/ VB - 'nuff said.

3/ San Miguel. I had my first one only a couple of weeks ago. This is definately made for american tastes, absolutely lacking in any real flavour or body. The 'Muzak' or beers, it's tasteless and nobody notices it!

4/ All of the generic American beers (Bud, Miller etc), again tasteless and without any body.

5/ Tooheys Dry - I'm with Doc on this one. All it gave me was a splitting headache and a trip to the bathroom in the middleof the night which would have been fine if I'd drunk a lot but I only had about 7 stubbies over a few hours.

Trev

4xxxx i cant stand the taste
vb dont like it anymore-i once enjoyed it
southwark-say no more

big d

Toohey's Red. Urgh!
Goddam that is one nasty liquid! I actually don't think it qualifies for this thread, because it might not be beer. The worst hangovers too.

VB is OK for when you want to be pretentiously unpretentious, bud not good at all :)

I like Crown Lager bottles, so I don't berate it too much when my brother buys a carton and keeps the empties for me ;)

You Blokes are obviously all young fellas.

Do any of you remember Courage beer, Had a rooster as a symbol and tasted like Rooster piss.

West End is crap, its up there with xxxx and Tasmanian light ice.

Mark

PostModern said:
Toohey's Red. Urgh!
Goddam that is one nasty liquid! I actually don't think it qualifies for this thread, because it might not be beer.
ohhhh yeah, when i was young and drank vb as a religion, i had no money and bought a tooheys red case on special for ~$20... big mistake, i'd rather drink on of my crap home brews than that stuff (and yes i've made some pretty bad HBs...)

A mate and I caught a bus from Perth to Melbourne (~50hrs) in my early 20s when bad beer was a standard part of my diet. The space cake ran out at Norseman and we had to tolerate reality until we got to Adelaide and changed buses. The driver told us the bus had a licence and we could buy a beer so long as it was West End. We had never drunk it but we were stoked at the prospect of wiling away the kms over a series of cold brews, but even our palates stripped by years of Emu Export and Bitter weren't prepared for West End - the worst commercial beer I have ever witnessed. We didn't buy a second one. I'm still getting that soapy taste out of my mouth.

:mellow:

Well it said to say most south aussies love west end & southwark (Same co)well i really hate that beer i rather drink vb but a lot of us south aussie love coopers

therook said:
You Blokes are obviously all young fellas.

Do any of you remember Courage beer, Had a rooster as a symbol and tasted like Rooster piss.

West End is crap, its up there with xxxx and Tasmanian light ice.

Mark
I found a dozen Courage and Crest Lager and Colonial Ale bottles in my partner's grandmother's pickling shed. Nice thick glass. When I found them, they were full of 20 year old pickled plum juice. Took quite some washing :)

Back