Worst Comerical Beer You Had

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You Blokes are obviously all young fellas.

Do any of you remember Courage beer, Had a rooster as a symbol and tasted like Rooster piss.

West End is crap, its up there with xxxx and Tasmanian light ice.

Mark
Courage is ok. And can still buy it in the UK.

Sun puts them all to shame, and it's China's most popular brand.

Sun puts them all to shame, and it's China's most popular brand.
Even tsing tao the Chinese "premium" beer is pretty tastless. With a grain bill which generally includes lots of rice and corn.

344DE929-CCB1-4887-A360-F54C6C692698.jpeg This was just crap no hop taste just shit.
Worst recent beer I’ve had.

back in 1970's there was beer strike in melbourne...i was going to perth by rail the beer was fine until we left Kalgoorlie. the train was stocked up with
Hannans..it was the worst beer

Most recent shocker was Aldi's "North of Nowhere Pale Ale". Thin, nothing, with an odd taste. A mate had bought it and was complaining as well, so I made up some hop tea and hop bombed the bottles. At least it smelt good after that.

View attachment 113614
Saw it one the award and cheap at Also - not a real pale ale, kind of " nowhere" in flavour, and like a lot of NZ crafty beer it has that slightly off taste - I think they paid for the award( I'm sure someone's bank benefitted from it) - all in all its not up to the mark+ I'll stick to Young Henry's Newtowner for Aussie Pale Ale- cheers

Courage "Directors bitter" wasn't too bad, but there was a very good reason why "Watneys" was referred to as "Grotneys"
After that I'd say Fosters, anything that needs a shot of lime cordial to make it taste of something can't be good.

Most of the taps at my golf club, but Great Northern takes the biscuit. Looks like water, smells of nothing, tastes like water. That'll be $6 for your schooner, thank you very much for your contribution.
Not for me. I drink either Carlton Black (they don't have Tooheys Old, sadly) or 4 Pines Amber Ale. Or, if I'm stingy, a hot chocolate is cheaper then either of those.

...I think it was "the great beer-strike of '78" here in the home of XXXX.... the highway south musta bin end-to-end semi's of cartoned beer! It came from everywhere.. brands I'd never heard of.. but the worst, undrinkable, was "Southwark" -from SA I think it was.

...the drop I found least offensive in those dire times was "KB", in a lil' keg-shaped stubbie.

That was back when each pub only sold one brand, and you could still smell a public bar three blocks away.... literally finding a pub by "following your nose" :p
equally southwark, i think from the same beer strike LOL, and emu bitter at the same time. our little gang called southwark 'vom-ark'. and westend. (so how do they make the mighty Coopers at the other end of the spectrum??)
hahn premium dry is pretty down there too
hite and cass, both from korea, overgassy, somewhere between a burst watermains and a whiff of lawn. koreans do a lot of great alcohol, but beer ain't one of them

Last edited:
Three hundred years ago in the UK there were 47,500 publican brewers and 780 common brewers, (who were defined as those who brewed 36,000 gallons of beer per year) The growth of the common brewers would have led to competition, not only in the serving of beers in their own public houses but to get the beer into the Free houses. Take away the competition by brewery's being swallowed up by conglomerates can only lead to a poor imitation of what was once a fine beer. As mentioned Watney's, which I believe was one of the first larger brewery's would most certainly have been producing a great beer to grow the way they did, unfortunately, as with many of the great brewery's, turnover became more important than taste.

Innis & Gunn "the original" Scottish ale. Tasted like fusel alcohol mixed with bad times and regret. Was pretty exxy for a single bottle (7ish dollars)

Really got nothing "smooth, vanilla and toffee" from it. Not sure if just a bad one, or just a bad beer. Not going to spend $7 to find out though.

As mentioned Watney's, which I believe was one of the first larger brewery's would most certainly have been producing a great beer to grow the way they did, unfortunately, as with many of the great brewery's, turnover became more important than taste.
You're correct they did make a decent drop, the beginning of the end was a product (I'm not going to call it beer) called "Red Barrel" lots of hype and advertising but just a mega swill, and once the campaign for real ale got under way it was doomed.

Screenshot_20200828-200328_Samsung Internet.jpg

Reeb, which is beer spelled backwards, was one of the few full strength beers available in the local Tesco nearest to where I was living in Shanghai in 2009.

As far as beers go, it actually is a bit backwards, but we drank it for a while, before deciding that just drinking twice as much Sun Tory (midstrength and horse piss in its ownright) was preferable.

Also on tap in Shanghai was Carlsberg, which is a truly headache inducing drop. I didn't mind the taste (compared to the other available swill at least), but I'd find myself nursing a hangover while I was still at the pub drinking.

Fastforward a few months later and I'd figured out that the trick was to either find a pub with Guinness or buy Asahi from vending machines...

I always used to say Kingfisher from India, but then someone (who is still alive) brought me a can of this, I think it was a practical joke not a deliberate insult.
1598611041600.png

Just so many things wrong. One review I read described it as a glass of sea water with a used tampon and a twist of lime. Not being personally familiar with taste of 1 of the preceding, but the rest was spot on so I'll take his word on the balance.
Avoid at all costs - not even with a 3AM kebab.
Mark

I've had one, well a mouthful (roadside bar in Buffalo), and words to describe it have always eluded me, thank you for the memory and succinct and perfectly accurate description, although your post may be in the wrong thread, I believe we're talking about beer.

You're correct they did make a decent drop, the beginning of the end was a product (I'm not going to call it beer) called "Red Barrel" lots of hype and advertising but just a mega swill, and once the campaign for real ale got under way it was doomed.
if you want a spray on watneys red barrel, try this, youtube, monty python at the hollywood bowl

Latest posts

Back