Worst Brew Day Ever!

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Blitzer

Reaction score
Hi All,

So I've hopefully just had my worst brew day ever, first time moving from kit to all extract. Finished my boil then got the wort 3/4 chilled in the laundry sink, decided I would just screw it through it in the fermenter with some ice I had boiled the night before. As I was carrying my fermenter from the kitchen I knocked the tap with my knee which decided to dislodge. At this point horror struck as not only was the wort flowing out of the FV it was going all over the carpet! I rushed the fermenter back to the kitchen tiles as the last of it poured out.

So now about 2 hours later, I've got the carpet cleanish.. though it is still quite wet so hopefully it dries clean. I've mopped the kitchen and the cupboards a few times to hopefully get rid of any stickiness.. and I've lost my beer!
I don't know which part about this is the most upsetting..

Anyway I was curious to see if anyone can top my worst brew day story?

EDIT: No I had not been drinking :)

If I had a cigar Blitzer I would give it to you.

YOU WIN... :(

Deep commiserations.

Unless you did something amazing in your mop up, be prepared to hear from family, housemates that you left the floor sticky for weeks. Take it outside!

Sad sad story. Commiserations on losing a brew.

The moral is: Never brew in the house!

Brewing should be done in:
1. The shed
2. The garage
3. Outside

Yeah, I think I will have to get one of the immersion heaters or a something to cook on outside.

You don't have your location in your details but if you did you may find someone on here that knows a good carpet cleaner.
I think you are going to need one..... :lol:
Wort will be sticky forever if you don'get it all out, and will attract every bit of dirt to that area.
Best thing I ever did was went to the shed to brew... out there you can have your own mess and your own kettle and other equipment and not use the kitchen.

Better luck with the next one!

Cheers

You poor sod!

My circumstances are (somewhat) similar being that I brew in the barby area at the back & stagger through the house with full fermenters to the fermenting fridges in the garage at the front.

Your unfortunate accident is why I ALWAYS keep the fermenter tap directly in front of me when staggering around.

There but for the Grace Of God go I. :lol:

man that would suck I thought the dogs tearing up my voile was bad enough at least I got to drink that lol. Never lost a beer touch wood, Wait I did tip 1/4 or my first beer I drank it under protest as a punishment but had to mix it half with vb and yes you can make VB taste worse by mixing that beer with it :lol:

You poor sod!

My circumstances are (somewhat) similar being that I brew in the barby area at the back & stagger through the house with full fermenters to the fermenting fridges in the garage at the front.

Your unfortunate accident is why I ALWAYS keep the fermenter tap directly in front of me when staggering around.

There but for the Grace Of God go I. :lol:

Ever thought of using a trolley to move it?

http://www.bunnings.com.au/products_produc...ubType=products

on the carpet?

Oh that would suck.

I never carry more than a glass over the carpet.

All fermenters stay over concrete only!

Well lesson learnt I guess, no more kitchen cooking. Lucky the carpet is brownish, I'm thinking it should blend. Will find out tomorrow morning.

Well lesson learnt I guess, no more kitchen cooking. Lucky the carpet is brownish, I'm thinking it should blend. Will find out tomorrow morning.
A stain is not the issue. You know how the carpet in pubs is always sticky? Think about it - that beer is fermented.

Yeah, sorry to say this but you're going to need a steam clean STAT.

Yeah, that sucks dude. I also recently made a massive mistake. I live in an apartment which means no shed, no back yard and most importantly very little storage space. So anyways, I had boxes of bottles conditioning in my lounge, which is carpeted. Had a bottle bomb explode and had to clean that quick smart. Long story short; no storage space plus carpet equals unhappy Mrs. Oh, I should mention that only 1 exploded and I saved the rest by recapping :). Turned out tasty :icon_cheers: .

Made a Pils a few months ago during the biggest winds we've ever had. Stupid me.

My resource book containing all my hand written recipes that I've made, tweaks and ideas etc fell on top of my spiral burner and I didn't notice. It must have lasted a matter of seconds.

This was followed by the plastic bag falling onto the tap on my boil kettle, melting it around the tap.

During the transfer to the cube I popped inside for less than a minute and lost 15 of 25 planned litres when the hose popped off the tap.

The 10 or so tallies of Pils that I made was delicious however.

Still, I did better than you old mate. At least mine was outside. Hot sticky wort on the carpet, I don't envy your clean up.

Not as bad as that, only forgetting to make sure the tap is turned off on the carboy before filling it. Inside on the kitchen floor, at least I don't have a wife to nag me :D . Now it is check twice to be sure to be sure.

Back