Worst Advice You Have Got From A Hb Shop

• Thread starter Outback Brewshed
  • Start date
Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
O

Outback Brewshed

Hi guys, I stole this idea from the Grumpys website.

"To Cool the fermenter down place 2 bottles of frozen water inside the fermenter each day"

Brisbane HBS

OB,
I would say that there might be a typo in there somewhere as it probably should have read
"place 2 bottles of frozen water inside the fermenter CABINET OR SIMILAR"
Anything you add to your fermenter during fermentation is high risk and sanition would be paramount if one decided to go down that path.
I would not add anything to a fermenter whilst it is fermenting with the exception of dried hops or spices as required into the secondary.
Cheers

I'm the sort of customer as most of us probably are that like to compare prices and get the best deal.
I have posted my bad experiences with a certain HBS in Melb a long while ago on here.
I went in there after that looking for a hydrometer.
When I told the shop assistant that I thought the price was a bit high after having to ask him, the reply i got was.
"What the f$%k do you mean its too much, go to another shop if you dont like it here. Get out and never come back."

Its been with great pleasure I have never been back there.

cheers

johnno

ummmmm I bought a heatbelt for a Coopers Lager kit on the advice of a certain HBS in Adelaide :)

JM

"All Grain Brewung is a Dying Art" and "Grab a kit off the shelf, you get better beer from a kit"

Country NSW

I receivd plenty bad advice. Then I found the brewshop at Unley, well, brewed a Scotch Ale (Old Jockstrap) OG 1074 an used a liquid yeast.

Find a good brwshop, I reckon

Andrew

A hbs in Sydney.......
I asked if he sold any hops, grain, and liquid yest.

' Na mate, the beers from the tins win the comps everytime so we dont use that stuff cause the tins got it all'

johnno said:
I'm the sort of customer as most of us probably are that like to compare prices and get the best deal.
I have posted my bad experiences with a certain HBS in Melb a long while ago on here.
I went in there after that looking for a hydrometer.
When I told the shop assistant that I thought the price was a bit high after having to ask him, the reply i got was.
"What the f$%k do you mean its too much, go to another shop if you dont like it here. Get out and never come back."

Its been with great pleasure I have never been back there.

cheers

johnno
[post="51017"][/post]​
So you took their advice then?
:rolleyes:

I was told by a QLD. brew shop AG is a waste of time you can make better beers using my kits.

And nobody in QLD. sells grains

mmmmm :blink:

Batz

PS. I was told may more things as well , may may more , till my ears started to bleed , all over the phone , some of you would now be familiar with the shop...Dicko?

Yes Batz!

Ears bleeding, thats what happened and I wasn't talking about AG.

And............................... I was paying for the call..............
on my mobile!! :angry:

But he did send me the goods and I have been pleased with my purchase.

Phew!!!! I would hate to ring him back to complain :eek:

Cheers

When I first started kit brewing (Large HB Distributor/Store in WA):

"Make sure you give your bottles a good shake after adding the priming sugar. This is to distribute the sugar and mix it into the beer."

I shook them like buggery, I figured I needed to mix that sugar in very well to make sure it would carbonate! Ended up oxidising quite a few of my early batches using this method. I always left too much headspace too, which didnt help.

Yesterday, I went to a HBS in Adelaide. Only wanted a little bottler, so didn't make the journey to Grumpys, Goliaths, Jovial Monk or Holden Hill. Instead I went to the nearest, one of a chain of about 4 or 5 in Adelaide.

Having got the little bottler, I thought I'd be nice to my brother in law and get him some kits and bits (he's been on at me for a while).

Special of the week was any Black Rock kit with a free kilo of dextrose and finishing hops.

Picked up the East India Pale Ale and asked for East Kent Goldings finishing hops.

Suddenly I was in the same Monty Python shop that sold dead, or not, parrots.

HBS guy "What do you want them for? You need cascade in a pale ale"
Me: "In an American Pale Ale, sure, not in an IPA"
HBS guy "Talking about Aussie Pale Ale mate, they all use Cascade. Especially the Tasmanian ones."
Me: "but, cascade are American hops."
HBS guy: "Uh uh TASMANIAN!"
Me: - some pretentious shit about how IPAs were produced in England for export to colonial India with very high hopping to preserve them, using Kent hops like goldings or fuggles
HBS guy: "No, mate. CASCADE, from TASMANIA"
we let that ride for a bit
Me: "Can I ditch the dextrose for some dried malt"
HBS guy: "I'll have to charge you the extra, but it's your beer. Waste of money, won't make any difference"
Me: "OK, it is my beer. What yeast do you have?
HBS guy: "Safale and Saflager"
Me: "Anything else?
HBS guy: "Saflager and Safale"
Me: "Any liquid yeasts?"
HBS guy: "Nah, gave up on them years ago. Too much hassle. Not worth it anyway. They are all the same yeast, anyway. All the same."
Me: "Ok, can I have those goldings then?"
HBS guy; "Ok it's your beer!"
So I pay the guy and head for the door, but not before he has one parting shot:
HBS Guy: "Your funeral mate, not going to be the right beer, won't be a pale ale at all, the golding's will make it far to bloody dark!"

bwahahah!
That's hillarious stu, love it.

Sounds like a brew shop on Henely Beach Road I visited while back in Adelaide last time

Batz

ROTFLMAO!! That's a good'un Wee Stu. :lol: :lol:

Kind of reminds me in a slightly unrelated, slightly (sorry) off-thread way. Of something that happened to me.

Go into a bottleshop and purchase four bottles of Budweiser Budvar. The pimply face cashier says to me (please excuse the deliberate typo it's meant to sound the way he said it);

"Excuse me sir, don't know if you'll like that... it's not the American one, it's the Chekaalarvarkian one mate". :blink:

My wife who is half Czech just stood there and bit her tongue.

(True story I swear, and that's also how he said Czechoslovakian).

Warren -

Batz said:
Sounds like a brew shop on Henely Beach Road I visited while back in Adelaide last time

Batz
[post="51791"][/post]​

Let's just say they are very closely related :D

warrenlw63 said:
ROTFLMAO!! That's a good'un Wee Stu. :lol: :lol:

[post="51792"][/post]​

Ditto your story warren, classic :D

I had a similar story to Wee Stu's, though not as funny.
I was considering buying one of those ESB fresh wort kits, the stout, and putting the Burton Ale yeast in there.
"No, use the Irish Ale... Whitelabs... yeah WLP004. The sheet says to use that one."
"Yeah, this is one of my favourite yeasts I'll just grab the Burton Ale, I don't want to end up with Guinesss."
*look of shock*
"No, it won't come out right, you need to use the Irish Ale yeast mate."
"Alright, how about I get the pale ale instead... is that any good?"
"Ohhhh mate, fantastic, very good brew that one."
"Yep... whack some Muntons Gold in there too."
Luckily he didn't push the WLP001 on me, although that time he probably would have been right.
This guy also took around 7 minutes to tell me he had some Burton Ale in the fridge, on the phone. Had to call me back, then got frustrated when I didn't ask him anything else.

Another store, same company, different location, I was chasing some Centennial hops, might be called Super Cascade. The nice lady said she'd chase it up. I came in two days later to see how things were going, "We don't have any Centennial, but the closest is Pride of Ringwood, it's the same bitterness." "Ahhh, no." (yes, felt like saying great, consultation with your expert down in Sydney sure yielded some good results). I asked to see her supply list, and picked out Pacific Gem "Oh, that's weird... I would still go with POR, it's closer in bitterness to what you want." "No, I don't want my beer to taste like XXXX." and she met me with a blank look, so I just continued with "I'll take the Pacific Gem, that will be great thanks."

I have a big list of things... I'm severely tempted to open up my own HBS around these parts, just to put these stupid, stupid people out of business who seem to know nothing at all about beer. I'm definitely no guru, but it's ridiculous how incompetent some of these people are. Very tempting...

wee stu said:
Yesterday, I went to a HBS in Adelaide. Only wanted a little bottler, so didn't make the journey to Grumpys, Goliaths, Jovial Monk or Holden Hill. Instead I went to the nearest, one of a chain of about 4 or 5 in Adelaide.
[post="51768"][/post]​

I just want to make it clear that, in Adelaide at least, my experience yesterday was the exception and not the rule. The four brewshops I have cited are all keen supporters of the brewing craft. I sometimes get advice I disagree with from these guys, but it is advice based on experience and research. I ignore it by my own choice, and at my own peril.

The shop in Holden Hill is called Brewmaker Home Brewing, which should not in any way be confused with Brewcraft.

In keeping with the spirit of this thread, I would not want to name the latter group of stores in this thread anyway :p

I'n my early days, a shop in Melbourne told me to prime my stout using black jelly beans. The result.. filth, a complete drainpour

Back