Worried

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

phyc

Reaction score
Started a new batch of pale ale OG was 1051 that was 4 days ago just checked it and it's reading 1001 with the hydrometer looks and smells normal question is is this normal for pale ale ?

Im sure i checked it twice two samples
Use 1 can of coopers pale ale 1 kg of castor sugar 1kg of Sanders malt extract 500g of coconut palm sugar in 23 liter fermentation vessel

It's floating at about 22°c
1572316214893.jpeg

Does it read 1.00 in room temperature water?

is this normal for pale ale ?
Most brewers would say this is not normal. (And most would say that 22C is a bit high, even for an ale.)

If your hydrometer readings are correct then the most likely cause is an infection. Make sure you are happy with the flavor before you bottle it.

If you’re readings are accurate and Unless you used belle saison yeast or something similar Id say it’s infected with that recipe at 1000

Will test it again today and it can't be infected I use a 3 stage antibacterial and fungicide sanitizing agent that's used for boarder security food transport

There will always be a risk of infection, no matter how good your cleaning process is. Just because your FV has been nuked, doesn't mean that your entire working environment is. Bacteria (et al) is everywhere.

I remember having a customer once with a similar problem, he rang every day saying its getting lower, the next day even lower.
By day 4 the hydrometer sank, turned out there was a small crack in the glass down at the weighted tip, the hydrometer was slowly filling with wort until it sank.
Just saying its not always the obvious, the numbers reported are a cause for concern, they aren't what I would be expecting, true infection is a good possibility but step back, take the time to look at everything.
First up re-check your hydrometer in clean water at around 20oC (have a look at the hydrometer is it calibrated at 20oC, I have a couple calibrated at 0oC and 16.8oC which can make a big difference). If that is one of the solid plastic hydrometers shake it and see if its filling up. Make sure it is floating freely in the test jar...

As for infection, have read that on average, if you take a deep breath you are inhaling 1.7million spores, fungi, viruses, bacteria and bits of dust any one of which could be screwing your brew, no matter how much care you take, outside a bacteriology clean room infections will happen, fortunately most of them are benign.
Mark

Checked with room temperature water was 4 points off still only give me a reading of 1005 if I account for the 4 points nothing else is as any signs of anything wrong still think is a very low reading

Will test it again today and it can't be infected I use a 3 stage antibacterial and fungicide sanitizing agent that's used for boarder security food transport
Did you boil the castor and palm sugar. Was it a fresh unopened packet ?

I'm going to suggest you try a different hydrometer.
When I add up the ingredients, if made up to 23L the OG would be 1.060 +/- SFA
Measurements cant be better the instruments you use, frankly so far I see little reason to trust the hydrometer you are using.
Perhaps its the way you are using it (or the brew). Its a good idea to let the hydrometer stand in the sample for 10-20 minutes so the temperature can equilibrate, give it a spin to detach any bubbles that are sticking to the hydrometer before taking the reading.
Mark

Yes I boiled both and fresh unopened packs and I always let the hydrometer stand in room temperature for ages then I recheck again do you think it's a really reading for pale ale with that recipe? OG 1055 down to 1005

Back