Worlds Hoppiest Beer

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joshuahardie

Beer, so much more than a breakfast drink
Reaction score
Yikes

Clicky!!!

Clocking in at 2500 IBUs (International Bitterness Units) and 13.3% ABV, Alpha-fornication proves that sometimes people climb mountains just because theyre there. And sometimes, Beer Geeks will try anything on a dare. The hoppiest beer we know of was a meager 2007 IBUs, so we bested that and then some. We Flying Monkeys see extreme beers as the continuing evolution of Craft Brewing and the expansion of Ontario beers. Its not just a contest of bravado to see who can make the worlds strongest beer (even though now weve got the worlds hoppiest one covered); its a movement a movement to showcase the craft and how complex and versatile beer can actually be.

Named for the alpha acids, or the compounds in the hop plant that are the source of hop bitterness, Alpha-fornication is brewed through highly creative and complex manipulation of the high alpha acid hop varieties, Warrior (17% AAU) and Centennial (11.5% AAU). A hop-steeped wort re-circulated through an additional Hop Vorlauf punches up the insane intensity of this brew to a stupefying 2500 IBUs. Keeping with the concepts of extreme brewing, the 13.3% ABV of Alpha-fornication adds bigness to this beer.

When asked about availability, Chiodo noted, This creation was so highly specialized and it was such a small pilot batch, by the time we kegged 15 litres, in the end, we only saved 6 bottles! Well sell them for $45 at the brewery store first come, first alpha-fornicated! It would be a fun beer to sample with a big group of friends.

Created as part of the Flying Monkeys Everest Experiments, a series of extreme beers showcasing the complexity and versatility of artisan brewing, the Flying Monkeys are actively engaging the expanding minds and palates of Ontarios craft beer drinkers.

and thus begins the inevitable argument of "you can only get 100IBU's in a beer..."

and thus begins the inevitable argument of "you can only get 100IBU's in a beer..."

nope my agrument with the above is
"Keeping with the concepts of extreme brewing, the 13.3% ABV of Alpha-fornication adds bigness to this beer"

pffft. 13.5%. ive got beers beers near that at the moment. anyone can get that % alc. given TNpenguine at 32% i hardly call 13.5% extreme

beside we all know for certain that you can only get 100 IBU. theres no argument :ph34r:

And all that without iso-hops, apparently.

ahembullshitahem

I thought the argument was we could only taste up to 100 IBU?

Why not just skul the liquid inside your car's battery?

If you can't brew a good beer, brew a huge beer!

QldKev

Yes but is it in any kind of balance!

I suppose balanced entirely towards the hops would be some sort of balance. :ph34r:

Pussies! At an ABV of 13% Beersmith tells me that is only a Bitterness ratio (IBU/SG) of approx 21! And to think a lot of my beers are around the 0.7 mark!

How did they confirm the IBU measurement?

Reminds me of the extreme chilli sauce scene

Eventually, you reach a limit where the difference is between chilli sauce and chilli extract

How did they confirm the IBU measurement?

I was wondering that too.
I am betting it is theoretical IBU's based on the hops that have gone into it, rather than a measured IBU.

I knew the article would stir some pots
:)

They ended up with 15L? I wonder what their knockout volume was.

What is it about the word "extreme" that makes you think they should be chasing balance?

Oh sorry, did you think I was serious? :D
Some folks seem to think that beers should be balanced (and I have seen some whinge about it discuss it in the strongest of tones). Therefore my comment was a pisstake.

Damn I was trying to win the prize for 'World's Hoppiest beer'. :angry:

Is the 'World's Grainiest Beer' still available? :lol:

Hopper.

How bout 'World's Skunkiest'

I'm going to take a whole glass demijohn to a tanning salon...

'World's Most Oxidised'

It'll take a few scuba tanks, but I'll get there...

'World's Most Drinkable'

Oh, I'll actually have to put some thought into this one...nah, too hard.

Back