World Wide Keg Shortage?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mattress

Reaction score
Hi guys,
As I'm only new to brewing I have been using PET bottles for my brew. I have decided I would like to start using kegs some time soon so I have held off on getting glass bottles.

I was looking at the craftbrewer website today and noticed they have discontinued their 4 keg and seal kit deal due to a worldwide shortage of kegs.

Does anyone know if this shortage is temporary or if getting 19 litre kegs is going to be more difficult, and expensive, from now on?

I was hoping to get a kegging system in a couple of months, but now may have to rethink my plans.

He still has plenty of kegs, just not with free freight. It's effectively a price rise as supply makes way for demand. They just don't make them anymore.

Must have been that bulk buy Bradsbrew organised, I hope you're happy with youself. I'd better drag the dozen corny's in from the back yard to be gerni-ed pile.....thieves may start eyeing them off.

He still has plenty of kegs, just not with free freight. It's effectively a price rise as supply makes way for demand. They just don't make them anymore.

Sure they do. I saw new soda kegs for sale last time I looked at prices. Not that many would want to pay the price. Some must or they would not be listed on the same sites as used kegs. one site here. https://secure.cazbah.net/index.asp?category=25843

I was looking at the craftbrewer website today and noticed they have discontinued their 4 keg and seal kit deal due to a worldwide shortage of kegs.

Wonder if this is anything like the so called hop shortage of 2008 where the price sky rocketed but nobody ran out of hops? :ph34r:

Wonder if this is anything like the so called hop shortage of 2008 where the price sky rocketed but nobody ran out of hops? :ph34r:

It could be, I remember a world wide shortage of kegs around 10 years ago but we seemed to pull through that one ok.

Batz

They still make new corny kegs. I have 6 brand spanker cornys "made in Italy" they cost me about $180 ea. Not cheap but they are being made. I believe some wines are served using these kegs rather than bag in box under nitrogen pressure.

just like this weeks "fuel shortage due to conflict" price rise.... i didn't see any servos closing...

people have to remember these are second hand product and the suppliers can only get what's available..i get mine from my beer shop

Is the pressure relief valve on the cornies supplied by this seller an issue? They are set as 100 psi standard and cannot be used to burp the keg etc. If not I might have to pick some up as they are nice and local.

Is the pressure relief valve on the cornies supplied by this seller an issue? They are set as 100 psi standard and cannot be used to burp the keg etc. If not I might have to pick some up as they are nice and local.

I've got a couple like that i've had for years. they work fine. Just charge three or four times and use a biro or bottle opener to burp.
I prefer the convenience of the others, but they are fine.

I've got a couple like that i've had for years. they work fine. Just charge three or four times and use a biro or bottle opener to burp.
I prefer the convenience of the others, but they are fine.

Can also buy new 'generic' lids for them with inlcuded PRV. about $14 each.

Not bad going since some places sell PRV replacements alone for $10-11. Only issue is they sell out fast, and bleed slowly when using them (when you activate the valve).

Cheers,
D80

Back