Wolfberry .... Sulfides

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

facter

Reaction score
Well, i havnt done any brews for a while, so im planning my next batches... as always, i cant keep well alone and i have to bastardise every batch i do in some way, so this always leads to looking for new ingrediants

i happened upon a shop that sells all manner of teas - everything really, but it also sells berries and flowers etc (going to get myself some of that dried jasmine for a jasmine lager i think!) l.. but i came across one type of berry that relaly intrigued me

These berries are called Wolfberries - and they are used in chinese medicine and cooking - has anyone heard of them? Wikipedia entry is here - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wolfberry

They taste amazing, kind of like a sultana/raspberry/carrot taste - very distinctive... so, of course, ive made some tea and it tastes great, and im going to put it into a brew - most likely a honey dunkelweizen Im wanting to get off the ranks ...

so besides wondering if this stuff is viable, the wiki entry has one bit that has me worried and that is this "Wolfberries with a vibrant orange-red color may have been treated with sulfites." .. now, i have no idea. They are naturally red, i asked the lady if they had anything on them and she didnt know... i also know that sulfites are a huge no no in beer .. my question is, also, how is it possible to detect sulfites in a type of food if its not labelled? is there any way? I gues si could make a small batch of yeast up and see if it kills it or not .. but is there any other way? or is there a way to neutralise the sulfites? Im guessing boiling wont help ...

Anyways, bit long winded, but Im excited aobut my new discovery - i cant find much onlie about its use in beer except that one chinese company MAKEs a wolfberry beer ....pic is below for the curious :)

F8079_7664.jpg

Latest posts

Back