WLP800 Starter - Failed

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DigitalGiraffe

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I'm about to brew my first Pilsner with a proper starter, temp controlled ferment and O2 aeration. I had a few vials of WLP800 in the fridge that I scored from my LHBS which were expired so I threw three of them into a 1.5litre starter on a stirplate. Usually I notice a bit of activity in the flask after a day or two but this starter has been spinning away for 5 days now and showing no signs of life.

I'm about to order a fresh WLP800 to make a new starter for this weekends brew, my question is should I just pitch this into my current starter or make a new one?

Cheers!

Make a new one for new yeast.
Don't abandon the old one if you can keep it sterile, odds are there is some live yeast but by the sounds of it not much and it could easily kick off. I've had bottle recaptures take weeks to kick in.
Mark

How warm is your starter? With this cold weather there's a chance it's not taking off because the conditions are too cool.

TheWiggman said:
How warm is your starter? With this cold weather there's a chance it's not taking off because the conditions are too cool.
It's probably ranging from 14-18degrees. It had crossed my mind but it's a lager yeast so it shouldn't be an issue?

My last Pilsener (earlier this Canberra winter) used WLP800, without a starter.
I did pitch sufficient and it was in date.
I pitched at 8C and never did it rise above, except after a few weeks when judged almost done I did a quick 18C cycle to clean up.
8C is fine for WLP800.

K

You've got so many details you've paid attention to for a delicate brew that requires it.

Definitely pay attention to this one. Brand new, fresh as possible yeast in a good, active starter.

As mark says - no need to discard this one but get it to a point where you can rely on it a bit more.

Latest posts

Back