Wlp565 Belgian saison.

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mongey

Reaction score
So currently have my first saison with 565 in the fermenter. I brew a bunch of saison but have always stayed away from 565 after reading that it can be a pain to deal with.

Standard pils ,wheat , Vienna recepie mashed at 64
Fermented at 24
Og 1052
For all the hype it was a very straightforward ferment.

at 5 days it was down to 1012. Day 7 was 1006 has been there 7 days since for 88% AA. sample tastes great.

to me it looks done but the yeast has such a bad rep online for stalling and restarting.was gonna bottle today . Anyone have any horror stories with this yeast ?does it really deserve the rep it has ?

Went to bottle and did a final reading and the damn thing had dropped again to 1004. Guess I’m leaving it another bit.

Naah, there's nothing wrong with the Dupont yeast at all. I'm not sure why it has a rep for being finicky if you handle it properly and run the ferment on the warm side. A few commercial brewers do an open fermentation with it as anecdotally it's less likely to stall with an open ferment / less pressure. Local brewery did one recently (mountain culture x wildflower collab) in an open fermenter with 565 and came out great especially at a low-ish-for-a-saison 4.5%.

just make sure you get a stable gravity reading before bottling. If you can raise the temperature to 25C+ it should finish pretty fast. There's really no downside to doing that even during active ferment, from memory the last time i used it I started it off about 23C and then by the end of ferment it was ramped to 27C, most of the ferment happens in under a week then...

Naah, there's nothing wrong with the Dupont yeast at all. I'm not sure why it has a rep for being finicky if you handle it properly and run the ferment on the warm side. A few commercial brewers do an open fermentation with it as anecdotally it's less likely to stall with an open ferment / less pressure. Local brewery did one recently (mountain culture x wildflower collab) in an open fermenter with 565 and came out great especially at a low-ish-for-a-saison 4.5%.

just make sure you get a stable gravity reading before bottling. If you can raise the temperature to 25C+ it should finish pretty fast. There's really no downside to doing that even during active ferment, from memory the last time i used it I started it off about 23C and then by the end of ferment it was ramped to 27C, most of the ferment happens in under a week then...

cheers man. Yeah I ended up pretty warm by the end . about 28

did another reading and it was still 1006 ,not 1004.had it on a wonky table . Thats 10 days at 1006 so I bottled this morning while working from home .I primed on the low side just in case it goes another point .but think its fine. not sure my beer is in the bottles long enough to over carb at the moment anyway

Latest posts

Back