Wlp090 Vs Us-05/1056

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

QldKev

Brew Dude
Reaction score
I've seen a couple of threads on the wlp090 yeast, a super clean super fast yeast.

For my house beers I just use US-05, but over the last couple of years it seems to flocculate less and less; I'm over it. I'm not going to filter my house beers.

I tried 1272 as a replacement, it was a great flocculant, but it gives the beer a tart taste which I don't want.

Is the WLP090 as clean as the US-05, are there any other flavours it throws? and does it floc out and leave clean beer?
I'm not worried about if it takes 4 or 8 days to ferment (there has been a couple of threads on it)

I'm after something like how Wyeast 1099 can floc, it ferments and a day or 2 later the beer is bright, but without the fruity flavour.

edit: the other yeast I'm looking at is Wyeast 2112, which would give more a lager style but hopefully fairly clean

QldKev

just give the 090 a go. it really is as clean as 1056 but does not hang around forever like it. it does flock out like a pommy yeast and is pretty good attenuation as well. i havent used 1056 for a long time because of the floc isuues but have been using 090 for everything from a psuedo lager at 16* to a barley wine i will be fermenting on an apa yeast cake over the weekend.

I tried 1272 as a replacement, it was a great flocculant, but it gives the beer a tart taste which I don't want.

This the first I've heard of it giving off tart tastes. Usually it gives off a nutty flavour, not a problem in IPA's, undesirable in APA's.

just give the 090 a go. it really is as clean as 1056 but does not hang around forever like it. it does flock out like a pommy yeast and is pretty good attenuation as well. i havent used 1056 for a long time because of the floc isuues but have been using 090 for everything from a psuedo lager at 16* to a barley wine i will be fermenting on an apa yeast cake over the weekend.
Yep I think I need to give it a try. Have to find where to get it from. Ross doesn't stock it.

This the first I've heard of it giving off tart tastes. Usually it gives off a nutty flavour, not a problem in IPA's, undesirable in APA's.
I just checked incase I was thinking of a different yeast. My notes def say it, and I also checked the website for the product description, it also mentions a tart finish.

here's Bribie_G's thread: http://www.aussiehomebrewer.com/forum/inde...showtopic=59502
I've got a vial in the fridge and will use it for my next brew.. I'm also hoping for something that flocculates well in place of US-05 as I don't have a filter and go primary straight into the keg.
Had a read of that before posting this one, was just after some peoples experience.

I'm the same, ferment, crash chill and into the keg

Overall I think I may have to try and get my hands on some.
TODO list, my MIDAPA
Batch 1. wlp090
Batch 2. Wyeast 2112
Batch 3. Wyeast 1099 - not true to style, but I love this yeast in the Barclay Perkins 1928 IPA

QldKev

l have found us-05/1056 is a clean yeast but a terrible floccer and 1272 is better suited to amber/brown ales using fruity hops and floccs well, wlp090 seems to have the best of habits of the other two yeasts if fermented at 18c or below.

What would you say is a better general purpose clean ale yeast WLP001 or WLP090?, and which flocs cleaner?

QldKev
I've not personally brewed with the 090 as yet but from reports I have been given it is very similar in flavour profile to 001.
The main difference is the speed at which the Super yeast ferments and clears.
It is said to also go better in high gravity brews.
As always pitching rate plays a part in how well a yeast will perform, not something I need to tell you though.
Cheers
Nige

What would you say is a better general purpose clean ale yeast WLP001 or WLP090?, and which flocs cleaner?

QldKev

Hmm, why not try S189 (i know its a lager yeast)

or 514?? just for a house beer it should be more than fine

I've only just kegged my first 1272 brew after getting annoyed with us05/1056

Flavour profile is definately different

I am looking for a US05 replacememnt too. I don't know if the yeast has changed, or it has reacted differently with the water/conditions where I now live, but I am getting heaps more acetaldehyde and diacteyl issues than ever before. Have also had one fail to fire recently.
I can put some of the problems down to technique and impatience, but really, a yeast that needs more than 7 days at 18deg and 3 more at 20...is not one for me.

Back