WLP017 Whitbread Ale Yeast

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

mje1980

Old Thunder brewery
Reaction score
That pdf mentions it as whitbread. Either way, I think your beer will be fine.

fletcher

bibo ergo sum
Reaction score
bumping this thread as i've considered using this yeast in a fairly straightforward special bitter, but cannot find a single review of it.

i'm sure it'll be fine, but just wanted to get some general feedback on it if anyone has any.

thanks in advance :)

mje1980

Old Thunder brewery
Reaction score
I used it a lot for a while. From memory it was easy to use and not fussy. Not as characterful as other uk strains but not boring either. Good for any uk style IMHO

Spiesy

Illmatic
Reaction score
HalfWit said:
I'm after some info on WLP017 Whitebread Ale . When I purchased it, I thought it was the equivalent of Wyeast 1099 (Whitebread Ale) but that is WLP006 Bedford British.

http://www.whitelabs.com/beer/2013_Platinum_Strain_Series_Release.pdf

This is the recipe I want it for....
http://www.byo.com/stories/beer-styles/item/2788-sweet-stout-style-profile
Where are you getting your stock from? I hope it's been frozen, or you're going to be making up a starter - as that strain is a Platinum Strain and only available March - April, so it's approaching 12-months old.

fletcher

bibo ergo sum
Reaction score
Spiesy said:
Where are you getting your stock from? I hope it's been frozen, or you're going to be making up a starter - as that strain is a Platinum Strain and only available March - April, so it's approaching 12-months old.
haha, if you were replying to me mate, i have an out of date one i was going to culture up if people had really good experiences with it. from mje's response though it seems ok, but not too ladi-da. rather than bother i might just go for something else :)

Latest posts