Wlp007

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Murray

Beer bear.
Reaction score
Hi, I am trying to decide whether to get WLP002 (English Ale, apparently equivalent to Wyeasts 1318 and 1968) or WLP007 (Dry English Ale, apparently no equivalent). I was wondering if anyone had used the WLP007 and how it compares to other English/London ales. All I know is it has ~10% higher attenuation than WLP002.

The WL site has some interesting info on this yeast, makes a dry ale but one with mucho flavor, I think. Worth having a look

Jovial Monk

Yes, I read the WL site, that was what got me interested in this yeast. Was just checking for personal experiences. I believe I will give it a try anyway.

I've used both WLP002 and WLP007. I give WLP007 the big thumbs up and WLP002 the big thumbs down. I may have had a bad batch of 002, but attenuation was so slow that I thought fermentation had stopped after 2 weeks, with a high FG. However, after a month in the bottle, every one became a gusher. The yeast flocced well, but attenuated so slowly. It appears to need rousing.

The WLP007 however was fantastic. I've brewed a stout and an Irish Ale. The Irish Ale is a little ~too~ dry for my liking. I should have mashed at a higher temp. In any case, it surpassed 75% attenuation. 1.039 -> 1.009 for the Ale and 1.057 -> 1.014 for the Stout!

WLP002 is the only White Labs yeast listed as VERY HIGH for flocculation characteristics. Certainly makes crystal clear beers! It is supposed to be the same strain as WY1968. The Wyeast site specifically mentions issues with the 1968 strain being so flocculant that it can sometimes affect fermentation. Rousing up sounds a good idea for both these yeasts.

Bottle conditioning and carbonation.
Q. I have brewed using your #1968 London ESB yeast. All went well through fermentation and the beer tastes great. The problem I am having is that the bottles are not carbonating. I used the recommended amount of corn sugar and have kept the bottles betwwen 63-76 F. There is not sedimentation in the bottles and the beer is still flat.

A. The 1968 ESB yeast is the most flocculant yeast available. It packs out extremely tight to the bottom of the fermenter. It is possible and quite likely that the beer was racked off without disturbing the yeast leaving nothing in the bottle to ferment and carbonate. For th ebottles you have, you could open and dose with asmall amount of fresh yeast. In the future, either add fresh yeast when bottling, or rouse the yeast off the bottom just enough so you can see some cludiness going into the bottle. Usually 7 days @ 72F will provide good carbonation.

Back