Quantcast

WLP005

Aussie Home Brewer

Help Support Aussie Home Brewer:

brewinski

Well-Known Member
Joined
27/7/14
Messages
54
Reaction score
12
FWIW, I just put an English Brown Ale down with this yeast on Saturday, OG 1054, no starter, it took off in less than 4 hours bubbling away ... here 2 days later, it's almost cleaned up after its self too, barely any krausen to speak of, it's still bubbling slightly, so it hasn't finished, but it is clearer than anything I have seen in this amount of time (Well, as clear as a darker beer can look)

Bill was Pale, Biscuit, Brown, SpecialB, Melanoidin, and Corn ... mashed at 72 ... WPL005 seems to have eaten through it in 2 days :)

Looking forward to what it does
 

Jkpentreath

Well-Known Member
Joined
1/3/13
Messages
75
Reaction score
4
Location
Lyndoch
brewinski said:
FWIW, I just put an English Brown Ale down with this yeast on Saturday, OG 1054, no starter, it took off in less than 4 hours bubbling away ... here 2 days later, it's almost cleaned up after its self too, barely any krausen to speak of, it's still bubbling slightly, so it hasn't finished, but it is clearer than anything I have seen in this amount of time (Well, as clear as a darker beer can look)

Bill was Pale, Biscuit, Brown, SpecialB, Melanoidin, and Corn ... mashed at 72 ... WPL005 seems to have eaten through it in 2 days :)

Looking forward to what it does
what wax the Fg after no starter?
 

brewinski

Well-Known Member
Joined
27/7/14
Messages
54
Reaction score
12
Jkpentreath said:
what wax the Fg after no starter?
with no starter, the gravity this morning say 60hrs from chucking the yeast in .. is 1024 ...

I checked my notes again, and it actually started with an OG of 1062 ... not 1054 as advertised above
 

TheWiggman

Haters' gonna hate
Joined
17/9/13
Messages
2,779
Reaction score
1,812
Location
Location
I used 005 for the first time 2 weekends ago and it's 9 days in the fermenter now.

MO, crystal and dark malts (HSD recipe)

Pitched at 19°C with a starter, checked 24h later and it was well underway. Decent krausen.
Due to cold weather I've struggled to keep it over 16°C and it's stalled a few times. Last night I could visibly see it still bubbling away (didn't bother with a hydro) so I hope the cold weather hasn't impacted on flavour too much. I might be leaving this in there another week because I had major diacetyl issues with this recipe last time but with a different yeast. From reading it sounds like this one will produce a fair bit. The ambient temp's just crept into the 20's of late so this could work out very nicely for the last few points.

One interesting thing was I noticed the yeast 'clumps'. In the vial it sat very thickly on the bottom but with a decent shake, it all came off in one go. Same story with the starter - decanted, and then a large collective mass of it all came out at once.
 

Weizguy

Barley Bomber
Joined
20/11/04
Messages
4,589
Reaction score
729
Location
Medowie , NSW
IIRC, Gerard used this yeast to make the delightful Choc Porter at the Markets Hotel, a few years ago.

May not be the same beer with any other yeast.
 

Dips Me Lid

Well-Known Member
Joined
4/4/13
Messages
224
Reaction score
92
Location
Yarra Valley
I've done 9 brews in a row with this yeast now and I absolutely love it, after experimenting with different ferment temps, 21-22c is about the sweet spot to my tastes. I've knocked out a best bitter, esb and brown porter, all have been great, the porter is drinking up real good atm, Simpson's Brown malt is brilliant in a porter.

I'm brewing an Old Ale and a Best Bitter this weekend with 005 and then I'm gonna start a run with WLP023 Burton Ale, so many kegs full of English goodness, **** yeah.
 

Dan Pratt

Well-Known Member
Joined
28/1/10
Messages
3,278
Reaction score
1,272
Dips Me Lid said:
I've done 9 brews in a row with this yeast now and I absolutely love it, after experimenting with different ferment temps, 21-22c is about the sweet spot to my tastes. I've knocked out a best bitter, esb and brown porter, all have been great, the porter is drinking up real good atm, Simpson's Brown malt is brilliant in a porter.

I'm brewing an Old Ale and a Best Bitter this weekend with 005 and then I'm gonna start a run with WLP023 Burton Ale, so many kegs full of English goodness, **** yeah.
Hi DML,

I was looking at this strain after making a couple of beers lately with WLP002. I was hoping to start a house strain with 002 but when you make a starter the yeast clumps together like cheddar and makes it hard to decant portions for future starters.

Does the 005 have the same thing? (you may be re-using a cake or washing yeast Im not sure)

http://aussiehomebrewer.com/topic/82841-wtf-wlp002-looks-wrong/?p=1225223
 

Spiesy

Illmatic
Joined
28/12/11
Messages
3,274
Reaction score
1,124
Location
Melbourne
Dips Me Lid said:
Simpson's Brown malt is brilliant in a porter.
Old school style.

Reckon I might wack out an ESB tomorrow.

TF Maris Otter, Crystal, EKG and 005.
 

Spiesy

Illmatic
Joined
28/12/11
Messages
3,274
Reaction score
1,124
Location
Melbourne
Pratty1 said:
Hi DML,

I was looking at this strain after making a couple of beers lately with WLP002. I was hoping to start a house strain with 002 but when you make a starter the yeast clumps together like cheddar and makes it hard to decant portions for future starters.

Does the 005 have the same thing? (you may be re-using a cake or washing yeast Im not sure)

http://aussiehomebrewer.com/topic/82841-wtf-wlp002-looks-wrong/?p=1225223
Sorry, I'm not DML - but I didn't notice this.

Are you leaving a bit of wort in your starter, warming it up to room temp and swirling?
 

Dips Me Lid

Well-Known Member
Joined
4/4/13
Messages
224
Reaction score
92
Location
Yarra Valley
Spiesy said:
Old school style.

Reckon I might wack out an ESB tomorrow.

TF Maris Otter, Crystal, EKG and 005.
That's about my exact recipe Spiesy, I mix the dark and medium Simpson's crystals for that dark fruit richness, and a little bit of late Styrian in with the EKGs. I got the WLP 005 from Full Pint and just wanted to say cheers for putting up the best before dates on your website, makes it easy to plan a starter.
 

Dips Me Lid

Well-Known Member
Joined
4/4/13
Messages
224
Reaction score
92
Location
Yarra Valley
Pratty1 said:
Hi DML,

I was looking at this strain after making a couple of beers lately with WLP002. I was hoping to start a house strain with 002 but when you make a starter the yeast clumps together like cheddar and makes it hard to decant portions for future starters.

Does the 005 have the same thing? (you may be re-using a cake or washing yeast Im not sure)

http://aussiehomebrewer.com/topic/82841-wtf-wlp002-looks-wrong/?p=1225223
Hey mate, the 005 is not as flocculant as the 002 so it's a bit easier to work with when repitching and making starters, I rinse the 005 without to much hassle, I basically follow Jamil's method of rinsing and seems to work.

Flavour wise to me the 005 has more pronounced sulphur, mineral, stonefruit esters, whereas the 002 I find a bit cleaner and perhaps a more versatile yeast to use as a house strain, it seems to play well with American hops.
 

TheWiggman

Haters' gonna hate
Joined
17/9/13
Messages
2,779
Reaction score
1,812
Location
Location
My HSD recipe managed to chew its way down to 1.007 once the weather warmed up. That'll put it almost bang on my target ABV (SG slightly under due to horror brew day) but will probably be a touch dry.
In saying that, tastes bloody glorious out of the fermenter. What is this ESB nectar and why have I not drunk it before? Bottling for a mate, so will go super low carb (thinking 40g dextrose for bulk prime) and get him to nitro syringe it. I feel like carbonating this will be offensive somehow. Loving the Fuggles/EKG on the nose too.
 

Dips Me Lid

Well-Known Member
Joined
4/4/13
Messages
224
Reaction score
92
Location
Yarra Valley
Sounds tasty Wiggman, what does HSD stand for? Low carbonation is a good option for most English beers I reckon.
 

Spiesy

Illmatic
Joined
28/12/11
Messages
3,274
Reaction score
1,124
Location
Melbourne
Dips Me Lid said:
That's about my exact recipe Spiesy, I mix the dark and medium Simpson's crystals for that dark fruit richness, and a little bit of late Styrian in with the EKGs. I got the WLP 005 from Full Pint and just wanted to say cheers for putting up the best before dates on your website, makes it easy to plan a starter.
Awww... thanks mate.

Yeah I'd like to experiment with a some dark crystal in there, such a good beer, but I went with brewing a pils today instead. Next brew!
 

brewinski

Well-Known Member
Joined
27/7/14
Messages
54
Reaction score
12
FWIW ... the English Brown that I made finished out very nicely with this yeast ... I washed it and kept it in the fridge since ... I got it out yesterday and poured off a bit of the water on top as I let it warm up, to pitch it into an iPA ... by the time I was ready, it had already gotten active/excited in the jar and started to expand ... I pitched it at around 5pm, and by 5 hrs later it was already bubbling along, then this morning it was pounding bubbles out the blow off ... what a yeast
 

brewinski

Well-Known Member
Joined
27/7/14
Messages
54
Reaction score
12
I have washed 3 and reused 2 yeasts ... one being the WPL005 mentioned above, and the other was some "Funktown" ...

I am pretty sure I washed, sanitised, everything correctly, and don't feel that there is anything wrong (colour or smell) ... both of these yeasts have gone off like a fire cracker compared, to the first time I used them. The Funktown was bubbling away as I poured it into the wort, and the wort seemed to start fermenting within an hour ... this morning it had blown a heap of junk out the blow off, and has pounded away all day, and filled a second/replacement blow off tube with junk too ... the wort is swirling away like crazy all day.... not that I have not seen any of this before, but nay sir, never this volatile.

So my question is, is that all fine ... maybe an over pitch? ... I pitched half of what I washed (one of 2 jars) which was 180 - 200ml into a 5L wort (at 20C)

cheers
 

Latest posts

Top