Wlp 810 Sanfrancisco Lager Yeast

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Byran

Reaction score
I have had this strain for some time, bought it when I didn't have temp control to try do a lager and see what happens,
I found that at its higher temp it produced a lot of sulphur but did work quite well. The sulphur dissipates after a day or so.

I have been using temp control to do ales for a while now and decided to revive one of my vials of WLP810 that I stored (for a year).
Done a step starter, 100ml, 500ml, 1000ml, 2000ml, 4000ml. Took a week but the yeast grew very well even after such a long time asleep.
Done in the kitchen at at least 20 deg C all the time. No problems but again, a bit sulphury but dissipated after a day or so when finished.

Now the working temp for this strain says between 14 deg C and 18 deg C so I thought Id push it a bit lower and see what happens.
Started a light hoppy lager at about 12 deg no probs, strong ferment, done in 4 days. D_rest, lagered for a week and kegged. Tastes clean smooth and fresh with good hop aroma coming through. Stoked!

Re-pitched the slurry into another hoppy lager but this time, pushed it to 10 deg C. Started primary ferment no trouble at all but was a little slower, took about 5 days. Tastes clean as you like. Almost no sulphur at this temp.

I think this yeast is fantastic for those of us who do not have temp control as it has the ability to go through wide temperature ranges with little or no problem or off flavours. Saying that, I do have temp control and I see no reason to not keep using it. It gives a soft creamy flavour to the beer which I love. Pitch the right amount, and you can produce a clean lager from between prob 8 deg C all the way to 20 deg C. Floccs out well too.

That's the anchor steam yeast. Must retry that, I reckon it would make a nice fast lagerizer

I find it easier to get wyeast locally, so it's good that Wy2112 California Lager appears to be the same yeast

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f163/wlp810-sa...ia-lager-228601
Yeh when they do it at high temp they call it steam beer, ( from the steam floating above the open fermenter's) in the cold weather over there.

Latest posts

Back