Witbier substitutes for bitter orange peel

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beercus

Reaction score
I'm onto my second AG Brew and first in my new 30L urn. I would like to do a Belgian wit, hoegardenish. Recipe below (adapted from bullshead witbier, thanks!)

So I do not want to buy orange peel, with the citrus available to me I thought I may be able to substitute.

I have oranges, mandarins, limes, lemons and grapefruit, all home grown...

What and how much would you suggest?
Should I use wet or dry weights? I can peel and dry.
does the recipe look ok?

I'm struggling to get my head around volume calculations in beersmith, but I was going to try 24L of strike water for mash@70oC and 8L of mash out batch sparge water in second vessel@77oC

Also I'm no chilling so I expect a few more IBU's

Thanks
Beercus

image.jpg

Just zest an orange and chuck that instead as its pretty much the same thing, I have tasted lime and lemon in wheat's and they both work well also

I've used mandarin peel and worked well. Less is more, overdoing it buggers the beer, under doing it and the beer is still OK. I used wet peel, probably stick to the same weight, I add some to the cube as well as the boil. I've read somewhere that limes/lemons/grapefriut aren't that good, haven't tried myself though.

If you underdo it you can always keep adding until you feel the flavour is right. I think Randy Mosher suggests in Radical Brewing that, if you can't get Seville Orange (the citrus often preferred by brewers) mandarin peel works well.

I think any citrus would work well. Basically, it depends on how you want your final beer to taste - I find lime deliciously tangy but in some stronger beers I think the distinctive lime quality would be lost. So it's really up to you.

I have peeled a Valencia or two with a spud peeler and then into a hop bag for the boil.

When I was brewing with extracts, I made my best wit using dried tangerine peel bought from an Asian grocer for $1.80 a packet. It does have an effect on the colour though.

[SIZE=10.5pt]The wit brewed by 512 was supposedly refined after a visit by Pierre Celis. Per their website and Brewing with Wheat, they use grapefruit peel and coriander. Personally I like the zest of 2 x orange and 1 x grapefruit as per Randy Mosher as referenced above by Phoney[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt]Try to get the Indian coriander (shaped more like mini rugby balls) from an Asian grocer rather than the normal stuff if you can as it definitely improved my attempts[/SIZE]

I have zest end 2 oranges and 1 grapefruit, comes out to 48g....

Doing this tonight, mashing now....

Most recipes suggest 10-15g citrus,

Am I way off?

25L batch

Thanks

Beercus

I have gone with 25g of mixed sweet orange and grapefruit peel in at 5 min.

Halfway through boil now, the oats have defiantly gelatinised during mash, it has a snotty consistency!

Thanks

Beercus

I recall that Potters Brewery have had success with dried mandarin peel in their Wit.

As for grapefruit, I may give that a run, as my grapefruit tree is small but heavy with fruit too

My Wit is in fermentation now with WLP400. I will let you know how it goes but i have read that this yeast will take a while to finish up. Looks like the fermenter will be in use for 3-4 weeks

beercus

beercus said:
My Wit is in fermentation now with WLP400. I will let you know how it goes but i have read that this yeast will take a while to finish up. Looks like the fermenter will be in use for 3-4 weeks

beercus
any updates to this one mate?

Latest posts

Back