Wit Recipe From G+g

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kitkat

Reaction score
Just to recommend the Wit recipe from the Grain and Grape website (http://grainandgrape.com.au/BeerOTMonth/riggers_wit.htm).
I followed the recipe and used Wyeast 3942 Belgian Wheat (was half price :) ), and at 2 weeks in the bottle it is absolutely yummy. Very nice taste by itself and quite nice with a slice of lemon. I know what I'll be drinking in the next few weeks, I bought a bag full of lemons
:chug:

One thing I might do next time is put more water with the torrefied wheat mash, there wasn't much left by the end of the boil. The quantity of coriander isn't much, 6 grams, but it comes out just enough to leave a slight after taste. I did an extract recipe where the brewer must have been a coriander-nut, with 40 grams, it was just undrinkable :)

I'm glad I tried that recipe, I'll be doing it again.
:beer:

Hi kitkat, I've been looking for a good wit recipe for a while and this one sounds the go, especially after your ringing endorsment.

I noticed that one of the ingredients in this recipe is malted oats. Did you usemalted oats or plain rolled oats. Where do you get malted oats from?

Tim

Hi kitkat, I've been looking for a good wit recipe for a while and this one sounds the go, especially after your ringing endorsment.

I noticed that one of the ingredients in this recipe is malted oats. Did you usemalted oats or plain rolled oats. Where do you get malted oats from?

Tim

Tim,

Use rolled oats from the supermarket, just make sure they're no additives - I'm pretty sure the one I use are Sanitarium rolled oats.

cheers Ross

Ross, Out of curiosity the recipe says to use malted oats, what difference will using malted versus unmalted oats make to the brew?

Cheers
Tim

I just asked G+G to provide the ingredients. Turned out a bit expensive, for example they don't do 500g of dried malt extract, so I had to order 2 Kgs instead of 1.5, etc. Of course if you plan to make 2 in a row then it might work out, but I had other plans for my next few brews, so it was a bit of a waste. I didn't mind though, the mini-mash + boil experience was interesting.

Next time I might ask them how it'd go if I used liquid instead of dried, I suppose I'd need to add a bit more water in the fermenter to keep the same alcohol level.

Ross, Out of curiosity the recipe says to use malted oats, what difference will using malted versus unmalted oats make to the brew?

Cheers
Tim

Tim,

Very little difference between the 2 as the rolled oats have been through a heat process & been gelatenised - Slightly more starch in unmalted & more likely to throw a little haze, perfect for a WIT though.

cheers...

Ross

dont go overboard on the corriander. most of the flavour comes from the yeast. any spices should be subtle enough to add complexity but you should not be able to taste which spice is being used.

Latest posts

Back