Wiring For Control Panel

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey dan,

firstly I would get a 12v power supply for the PID either at little transformer like THIS or a 12v switch mode power supply off ebay .
Next I would get a 240v DPST rocker switch like THIS so you can switch the whole unit on or off. Then get a SPST rocker switch like THIS to switch the pump on and off, one of the 12v switches can be used to switch the 12v coming out of the PID to the SSR, that would mean you can have the PID on and the HEATER off. There is a number of ways to wire this up, I can supply a wiring diagram but you will need to get your work checked out but a qualified person before you use it.

cheers steve

Hi,

I recently read through "' i want matho's controller " thread and..... I want one too :D I got inspired to complete my control panel for a single vessel brewing system.

It seems quite old school in comparison to the current design of the multi step controller but I had most of the parts in the shed and made some time to buy a box and put them all together.

Could I ask for help with a wiring diagram for the unit in the photo's so I can get it up and running. Please help?
Hi Dan,

While I don't mean to be a downer on the thread (I'm all for DIY), but if you are planning on wiring up a 240V control box, and you can't work out how to connect the components you have, frankly I'm a little concerned.

240V is not to be messed with. It will kill you. And despite what Robbo said, as little as 50mA can kill you.

As I said, I'm not trying to have a go at you. But if someone randomly walked up to me and asked me these questions, my first response would be to give them the name of a sparky.

Cheers
Sam

Hi Dan,

While I don't mean to be a downer on the thread (I'm all for DIY), but if you are planning on wiring up a 240V control box, and you can't work out how to connect the components you have, frankly I'm a little concerned.

240V is not to be messed with. It will kill you. And despite what Robbo said, as little as 50mA can kill you.

As I said, I'm not trying to have a go at you. But if someone randomly walked up to me and asked me these questions, my first response would be to give them the name of a sparky.

Cheers
Sam

Thankyou for the concern, I do appreciate that I can be harmed/killed from this.
I have full intentions of seeing a sparky he lives in the street and is due for a visit to do the outdoor lights and I will have I checked then.
Getting the right parts and the wiring drawing will see that's it's done right.
Thanks again.

Hey dan,

firstly I would get a 12v power supply for the PID either at little transformer like THIS or a 12v switch mode power supply off ebay .
Next I would get a 240v DPST rocker switch like THIS so you can switch the whole unit on or off. Then get a SPST rocker switch like THIS to switch the pump on and off, one of the 12v switches can be used to switch the 12v coming out of the PID to the SSR, that would mean you can have the PID on and the HEATER off. There is a number of ways to wire this up, I can supply a wiring diagram but you will need to get your work checked out but a qualified person before you use it.

cheers steve

Good stuff Matho, I looked at the parts and can get those now worries. So with he transformer, a main power switch and a new 240v switches for the pump and heater I can get wiring done...ok.....
A little confused how 240v Is coming in, transforms into 12v to the PID then runs through 240v rocker switches to make 240v power to the heater of course after running through the SSR? .
The pump only requires 12 v so do I keep that switch at 12v?

I'm such a novice with wiring, voltage and amperage.
I have a sparky who can check the work. :)

Good stuff Matho, I looked at the parts and can get those now worries. So with he transformer, a main power switch and a new 240v switches for the pump and heater I can get wiring done...ok.....
A little confused how 240v Is coming in, transforms into 12v to the PID then runs through 240v rocker switches to make 240v power to the heater of course after running through the SSR? .
The pump only requires 12 v so do I keep that switch at 12v?

I'm such a novice with wiring, voltage and amperage.
I have a sparky who can check the work. :)

Thankyou everyone for the posting to the thread. I have updated my switches and PID to 240v and will get an electrician to help me with the wire up. All good. Will post some info when i get her up and running.

Have a great day

Latest posts

Back