Wiring For Control Panel

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dan Pratt

Reaction score
Hi,

I recently read through "' i want matho's controller " thread and..... I want one too :D I got inspired to complete my control panel for a single vessel brewing system.

It seems quite old school in comparison to the current design of the multi step controller but I had most of the parts in the shed and made some time to buy a box and put them all together.

Could I ask for help with a wiring diagram for the unit in the photo's so I can get it up and running. Please help?

2 x 10A 250v 3 pin plugs ( pump and heater )
2 x 12v 3 pin switches ( 1 red 1 green, not that that matters..)
1 x PID Temp Controller - Sesto D1S-VR-24
1 x SSR 25a - Fotek
1 x K type Temp Sensor ( not Pictured )
1 x 240v power lead

SVBC_001.jpg

SVBC_002.jpg

Also, do i need a heatsink for the solid state relay?

If you need any more info or pictures to help with the scematic drawing please ask.

Dan

you'll need a heat sink on the ssr

Yep you will need a heat sink for sure

here is a pic of mine that's in progress at the moment
IMAG0133.jpg

BUT......
if you don't know what your doing be careful!! its 240v @ 10+amps, 1 amp can kill you this stuff bites!

Hi Guys,

I'm in the process of building a controller for my new RIMS setup - can u please advise where u got these boxes? They seems to be difficult to locate!

Cheers,

BD

Hi Guys,

I'm in the process of building a controller for my new RIMS setup - can u please advise where u got these boxes? They seems to be difficult to locate!

Cheers,

BD

Hi,
I got mine from Jaycar its catalogue number Hb6404, they are 35 bucks. Mine comes with latches but you can get the screw close types.
Go online to find the items at the Jaycar website.

I got mine from middy's.

If you look at wolf's build you'll see he grabbed from ebay.

Hi,

I recently read through "' i want matho's controller " thread and..... I want one too :D I got inspired to complete my control panel for a single vessel brewing system.

It seems quite old school in comparison to the current design of the multi step controller but I had most of the parts in the shed and made some time to buy a box and put them all together.

Could I ask for help with a wiring diagram for the unit in the photo's so I can get it up and running. Please help?

1 x SSR 25a - Fotek
1 x 240v power lead

View attachment 55210

View attachment 55211

If you need any more info or pictures to help with the scematic drawing please ask.

Dan

Sorry to be a bit off topic but can you or anyone tell me where to get those 240v 3pin plug bases on line.
I have searched jaycar and other suppliers without any success

Cheers

I got mine from middy's.

If you look at wolf's build you'll see he grabbed from ebay.

Thanks - I need it to be deep enough for the PID controller. Most of the Jaycar ones appear to be too shallow (I believe u need approx 100mm internal space) when I looked on their site. Also have a saved search on Ebay for them too...just like the look of the side latch one in the above pics. How deep are these? I see that there is a PID in there.

For the mains plug search jaycar for "MAINS PANEL SOCKET" its CAT. NO. PS4094

Hi,

1 x SSR 25a - Fotek
1 x 240v power lead

View attachment 55210

View attachment 55211

Dan

Hi Dan,

I'm not too sure what you want to control with those switches as they are 12v ( is that the maximum volts they are rated for or just the light), also the PID that you reference needs a 12v -24v power supply to run it. I assume you would like to be able to turn the pump and PID on and off with the switches. Could you be more specific about what you have and what you want to achieve.
cheers steve

phew,

just had a hole crap do i need a 12v power supply for my pid!!

I got the D1S-VR-220

Hi Dan,

I'm not too sure what you want to control with those switches as they are 12v ( is that the maximum volts they are rated for or just the light), also the PID that you reference needs a 12v -24v power supply to run it. I assume you would like to be able to turn the pump and PID on and off with the switches. Could you be more specific about what you have and what you want to achieve.
cheers steve

Hi matho,

The idea is to have the 240v mains power lead to power the PID. When I turn on the power at the main powerpoint the PID controller would come on. The switches would then enable that 240v power to run through to the pump and heater when switched on.

I think a couple of things may need to change. eg the PID is a 24v and switched are 12v and I have 240v mains coming in and 240v going out through the pump and heater outlets..... (Obviously the ktype sensor would switch the PID Heater on/off as required)

What would you suggest? do i need 240v swicthes and a 220v PID or is there a way around this.... :(

Dan

Thanks - I need it to be deep enough for the PID controller. Most of the Jaycar ones appear to be too shallow (I believe u need approx 100mm internal space) when I looked on their site. Also have a saved search on Ebay for them too...just like the look of the side latch one in the above pics. How deep are these? I see that there is a PID in there.

The HB6404 from jaycar which is pictured in the OP is 130mm deep. the box itself is 200mm x 200mm square.

Dan

What would you suggest? do i need 240v swicthes and a 220v PID or is there a way around this.... :(
Using a power adapter/transformer is likely to be cheaper than buying a new PID, so I'd just include that as part of the build.
You could then use the 12V switches down-stream of the adapter/transformer to switch the PID and pump on/off.
However, the problem with doing that (at least in my limited understanding of the electrical workings of PIDs & SSRs) is that the 240V heating circuit remains open even when the PID/SSR is 'off' so it's much safer to switch both the 240V active and neutral (upstream of the PID), which would not be possible if you used the adapter/transformer and 12V switches.

Latest posts

Back