Wiring A Computer Fan

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Batz

Batz Brewery...Hand crafted beers from the 'Batcav
Reaction score
Guys,

I'm rebuilding my chesty and scored two new 12v computer fans. Now these have 3 wires that are not colour coded. You guys know how to wire them to my transformer? Last ones I have only had two wires.

batz

you will only need 2 of the wires I think on mine the yellow one was not used. I dont have a fan setup ATM so cant remember the other wires hook them up and see it shouldnt hurt them it you hook it up wrong, Pretty sure it took me a few goes when I done it.

Don't quote me on it but I think the third wire is for an RPM sensor (and isn't needed in your case)

You only need the two wires. They should always be in the same place so if they have the connector like the one below then its just the 2 on the left being black and red.

IMG_20120428_090825.jpg

Guys,

I'm rebuilding my chesty and scored two new 12v computer fans. Now these have 3 wires that are not colour coded. You guys know how to wire them to my transformer? Last ones I have only had two wires.

batz

looking at my computer fan the negative is the middle wire. One of the wires will be a RPM sensor and not required. hope it may help

Cheers guys I try it out, as I said the wires are not colour coded and even I being very colour blind can see that.
I'll try it when I get home, off to the Maleny brew Crew now...perhaps tomorrow would be a better time. :chug:

Thanks

batz

Only a few combinations :)

Remember PC fans generally only work in one polarity so try each combination each way ;)

Back